Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

When someone is unemployed after having been made redundant, this person may claim unemployment benefits and live on unemployment benefits for a while. Right, I would like to know if there are other ways of naming this type of help from the governement.

Can we talk about unemployment allocation?

I have not got any particular context to which make a reference.

As always, thank you very much for your help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In England, it is known informally as 'the dole'. I have been on the dole for six weeks now.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Its official name (maybe changed recently I think... :-?) was 'Jobseeker's Allowance'.

b

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hello,

When someone is unemployed after having been made redundant, this person may claim unemployment benefits and live on unemployment benefits for a while. Right, I would like to know if there are other ways of naming this type of help from the governement.

Can we talk about unemployment allocation?

I have not got any particular context to which make a reference.

As always, thank you very much for your help.
In the US, the terminology varies fom state to state. This type of assistance can be called unemployment insurance, unemployment compensation or unemployment benefits. To say that someone is "on the dole" is quite demeaning (in the US) and generally refers to public assistance benefits (commonly known as "welfare.")

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Someone who is "between jobs" and collecting unemployment I would not say is "on the dole."

You do pay a portion of every paycheck into the system. If you have to collect benefits, you are not getting charity.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's the reason for the change from 'Unemploment Benefit' to 'Jobseeker's Allowance', to underline the need to look for a job actively in order to get it.

b

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, every state has its own particular terminology when officially referring to unemployment benefits or unemployment insurance, but overall the generic terms used by folks collecting it is simply "Unemployment":

"I was laid off almost a year ago and now my Unemployment is about to run out. I'm going to have to take any job, whether in my field or not."

"I hated my job, so it was a relief when my boss laid me off. I'm going to collect Unemployment for a few months and clear my mind before I start looking for a new job."

Status
Not open for further replies.