Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after being shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

Is it

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after he was shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

or

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after he had been shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

How would you rewrite it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Either re-write is possible, but all three sound a little strange. I would imagine that the shots caused the injury. As they stand, the sentences suggest he was seriously injured after he was shot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after being shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

Is it

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after he was shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

or

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after he had been shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

How would you rewrite it?

I agree with 5jj (again!) He didn't get seriously injured after he was shot. He got seriously injured by being shot in the face.

It would make more sense if it said something like "Officer Donrough is seriously ill in hospital after being shot twice in the face".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I agree with 5jj (again!) He didn't get seriously injured after he was shot. He got seriously injured by being shot in the face.

It would make more sense if it said something like "Officer Donrough is seriously ill in hospital after being shot twice in the face".

It could have been for the second bullet that hit him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It could have been for the second bullet that hit him.

Do you mean that the first bullet that hit him in the face didn't injure him?!

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do you mean that the first bullet that hit him in the face didn't injure him?!

Yes. He might have taken the first bullet to his mandible and second caused a severe brain injury that was more serious in comperison to the first injury.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Provided only two shots were fired, if the first shot hadn't hit its target, he would only have been shot once in the face.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Provided only two shots were fired, if the first shot hadn't hit its target, he would only have been shot once in the face.

I wasn't done writing my post when you sent yours. Two different injuries.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am leaving you to it. There are probably people with reasonable questions waiting for a response.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm sorry but I still don't understand what you're suggesting. The original piece clearly says that he was shot twice in the face in the morning, with no other injuries mentioned.

I guess it's possible he was having a VERY bad morning and it could have said "After being shot twice in the face in the morning, Officer D was seriously injured in the afternoon when both of his arms and one leg were blown off by a bomb." That would suggest that it was a different injury from the facial shootings which seriously injured him.

I also don't understand your "I wasn't done writing my post when you sent yours" - you had posted your comment so unless you accidentally hit "Submit reply" before you had finished typing, I don't konw what you mean.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm sorry but I still don't understand what you're suggesting. The original piece clearly says that he was shot twice in the face in the morning, with no other injuries mentioned.

I guess it's possible he was having a VERY bad morning and it could have said "After being shot twice in the face in the morning, Officer D was seriously injured in the afternoon when both of his arms and one leg were blown off by a bomb." That would suggest that it was a different injury from the facial shootings which seriously injured him.

I also don't understand your "I wasn't done writing my post when you sent yours" - you had posted your comment so unless you accidentally hit "Submit reply" before you had finished typing, I don't konw what you mean.

The first bullet chips off a bone fragment and the second hits his scull. He could have been fired on at long range and the shooter lacked precision.

Sorry I wasn't done typing post #9 when you submitted your reply.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first bullet chips off a bone fragment and the second hits his scull. He could have been fired on at long range and the shooter lacked precision.

There are many possibilities but I don't understand what any of them has to do with the original question. Even if the first bullet chipped off a bone fragment and the second hit him square in the face, saying "after being shot twice in the face" still doesn't make any sense. Whether he was seriously injured by the first or the second bullet, he still wasn't seriously injured after being shot.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Are you being deliberately obtuse, ostap?

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Can I say?

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after to be shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can I say?

Officer Russel Donrough got seriously injured after to be shot twice in the face in the early morning hours of July 9.
No, for reasons already thoroughly explained.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I say?

No. The meaning is as strange as the first version, and the English is ungrammatical.

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
How is the reduction if sentence is like "was + being + verb3"

after being verb3 again?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How is the reduction if sentence is like "was + being + verb3"

after being verb3 again?
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking. Could you expand - with a complete sentence as an example?

Volcano1985

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking. Could you expand - with a complete sentence as an example?

I mean how we can make the reduction of a sentence which is passive present/past/perfect continuous tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.