[General] Is the text of the song "Feelings" too controversial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Am I right thinking that the singer in the famous song expresses too controversial things?
Do you agree that the message "feelings like I've never lost you" is controversial to the following:
"And feelings like I'll never have you again in my heart"?
Let's suppose the man's been so shocked that he is saying controversial things. Then I can understand one line that almost completely repeats the previous, mentioning the heart, the line is given above in my question. "Feelings… like I've never lost you
And feelings like I'll never have you again in my life"
But the previous couple of contradicting sentences makes absolutely no sense. How come he'll never have her in her heart? Did he connect electro wires to his heart to artificially forget her? Even if he did, why then does he also say "for all my life I'll feel it"?
Also, help me check he has no grammatical mistakes. Most of lyrics texts I've met must have two mistakes. 1) In "feelings like I've never have you again in my heart" there must be "feelings like I'll never have you again in my heart" 2) "I wish I've never met you" must be actually "I wish I'd never met you". Prove me wrong))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure you mean "controversial"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Am I right thinking that the singer in the famous song expresses too controversial things?
Do you agree that the message "feelings like I've never lost you" is controversial to the following:
"And feelings like I'll never have you again in my heart"?
Let's suppose the man's been so shocked that he is saying controversial things. Then I can understand one line that almost completely repeats the previous, mentioning the heart, the line is given above in my question. "Feelings… like I've never lost you
And feelings like I'll never have you again in my life"
But the previous couple of contradicting sentences makes absolutely no sense. How come he'll never have her in her heart? Did he connect electro wires to his heart to artificially forget her? Even if he did, why then does he also say "for all my life I'll feel it"?
Also, help me check he has no grammatical mistakes. Most of lyrics texts I've met must have two mistakes. 1) In "feelings like I've never have you again in my heart" there must be "feelings like I'll never have you again in my heart" 2) "I wish I've never met you" must be actually "I wish I'd never met you". Prove me wrong))
Please don't try to analyse the grammar in song lyrics, they are rarely good English.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As Bhaisahab mentioned, song lyrics are often grammatically incorrect. Also, please note that back when Morris Albert's "Feelings" was originally released it was included on many "Worst Song" lists due (in part) to its contradictory lyrics....."feelings like I've never lost you" versus "I'll never have you in my heart again". Many critics mocked the songwriter for his words - if he'd never lost his love, how could he simultaneously feel that he'd never have her in his heart again?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Bhaisahab mentioned, song lyrics are often grammatically incorrect. Also, please note that back when Morris Albert's "Feelings" was originally released it was included on many "Worst Song" lists due (in part) to its contradictory lyrics....."feelings like I've never lost you" versus "I'll never have you in my heart again". Many critics mocked the songwriter for his words - if he'd never lost his love, how could he simultaneously feel that he'd never have her in his heart again?

In my opinion, they were absolutely right to include it on that list - it's tripe!

And there we go - contradictory was the word the OP needed, not controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.