• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

to be doing-- as an independent sentence...

Hi,

I would like to ask if the following sentence is grammatically correct, if so, please kindly explain in detail since as far as I know, the "to do" pattern can only be used within a sentence but not as an independent part.Is it simply because it omits the subject and predicate? Thank you! If possible please give me an example,how you usually say it.

***Great, all right, to be earning your own dough.***

PS:it can tell from the translation that the above sentence is something a person said to someone who has not worked and earned money bofore.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to be doing-- as an independent sentence...

Quote Originally Posted by yanx View Post
    Hi,

I would like to ask if the following sentence is grammatically correct, if so, please kindly explain in detail since as far as I know, the "to do" pattern can only be used within a sentence but not as an independent part.Is it simply because it omits the subject and predicate? Thank you! If possible please give me an example,how you usually say it.

***Great, all right, to be earning your own dough.***

PS:it can tell from the translation that the above sentence is something a person said to someone who has not worked and earned money bofore.
    I'm not quite sure I understand the question as "to do" doesn't appear in your example sentence. The sentence you have posted is not complete. I would expect to see:

"It's great, all right, to be earning to your own dough."

The "all right" is unnecessary but adds a little emphasis to the simple statement "It's great to be earning your own money."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you, emsr2d2 !

I googled on the Internet and found that some usages of grammar were something our English teachers did not teach before, but should do exist. That is the phrase"to be doing". So, again, please give me further explanations in grammar as far as the following sentences are concerned. Do they have different meanings in tense? say, whether the verb or the action is the present or future tense. Thank you again!

1. We can start by applying what I call “The Google Test.”
    If you can find a good service on the Internet. Then the federal government probably doesn’t need to be doing it.(Our English teachers in school only taught the grammar difference between need to do and need do).

2. Is it necessary for God to be doing anything different from the laws of physics? Stenger thinks it is. If God's existence is a scientific ...

3. You are too young to be doing this. (require explanation... what's the difference between that and "You are too young to do this")

Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by yanx View Post
    1. We can start by applying what I call “The Google Test.”
    If you can find a good service on the Internet. Then the federal government probably doesn’t need to be doing it.(Our English teachers in school only taught the grammar difference between need to do and need do).
    So, they missed this. The Federal Government is (apparently) doing this and, in the opinion of the writer, then they (it) should not be doing this.

2. Is it necessary for God to be doing anything different from the laws of physics? Stenger thinks it is. If God's existence is a scientific ...
    Is God doing anything? Is it necessary for God to be doing it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post

Thank you! I got it...