Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In the IPA [ j ] is known as the palatal approximant and classified as a consonant. This sound is the English yod like in you. However, before I studied IPA, I intuitively thought of this sound as a diphthong of and or ee-oo.

Is it incorrect to think of [ j ] as a diphthong of ee-oo?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the IPA [ j ] is known as the palatal approximant and classified as a consonant. This sound is the English yod like in you. However, before I studied IPA, I intuitively thought of this sound as a diphthong of and or ee-oo.

Is it incorrect to think of [ j ] as a diphthong of ee-oo?
No, it is not incorrect. It's a rapid glide from a very short to a longer .

It's classed as a consonant, because it functions as a consonant, occurring at the beginning rather than the middle of a syllable.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, it is not incorrect. It's a rapid glide from a very short to a longer .

It's classed as a consonant, because it functions as a consonant, occurring at the beginning rather than the middle of a syllable.

Is that so? Well, I just wanted to confirm something. I thought we were supposed to make the /i:/ sound, followed by the sound /ə/ and keep the sound short. So there's actually another way to make the /j/ sound, isn't there? :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is that so? Well, I just wanted to confirm something. I thought we were supposed to make the /i:/ sound, followed by the sound /ə/ and keep the sound short. So there's actually another way to make the /j/ sound, isn't there? :)
There is no question of being 'supposed' to do anything.. The glide from / to [ə] also results in a [j] sound.

Actually, my first response to pizza was not totally correct. [j] is the sound made at the moment of transition from the initial vowel sound to the second. In [j] itself, there is no ; nor is there or [ə] or any other vowel.

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
So, in general terms, can we agree that the diphthong of /i/ and another vowel produces /j/?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In a case such as 'pretty_iris', we normally talk of a glide rather than a diphthong. We tend to reserve diphthong for something that can represent a full syllables either alone, as in I/eye, oh, or when preceded and/or followed by consonants, as in tie, ice, mice.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: It's all a question of a snapshot of the dipthong. An example (involving other languages, but it may be useful to students of English) is the Paul Simon song 'Me and Julio down by the schoolyard'. Like most English speakers, I thought of 'Julio' as having three syllables, so there was no internal rhyme in the lyric, and the words didn't scan. But I was wrong: the line correctly fits the two syllables of the name to two notes in the tune, and the '-ly'- of 'schoolyard' is quite close to the medial consonant in 'Julio'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.