Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Would anyone please tell me which one, in case they refer to the same thing, has the most common usage in everyday English?

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
British National Corpus figures are:

rostrum - 141
Podium-114
soapbox 44

I did not read through them all to check that they were referring to the same thing.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that this doesn't mean: 'Use 'rostrum; - that way you're fairly sure to be right'. Corpora are good things - irreplaceable, I think. But they are only an indication of what has been used in a particular corpus, not what it is appropriate to use. :eek:nfire: OK, I'll get down off my soapbox.*

b
PS * See what I did there? This is an idiom: when you 'get down off your soapbox' you stop ranting about something you often say. 'I'll get down off my rostrum/podium' is not an option. 'Soapbox' is a metaphor; public speakers used to stand on them. Today, I'm not sure if they exist - and if they do they wouldn't be sturdy enough to take a speaker's weight.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note that this doesn't mean: 'Use 'rostrum; - that way you're fairly sure to be right'. Corpora are good things - irreplaceable, I think. But they are only an indication of what has been used in a particular corpus, not what it is appropriate to use.
I agree. :up:

I meant to suggest this with my, "I did not read through them all to check that they were referring to the same thing," but I was not explicit enough.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks to you both for the very helpful comments!

Wish you best!

Status
Not open for further replies.