Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    past simple+present perfect

    "Correspondents from many editions were able to get the latest information on co-hosting Euro 2012, that has been of interest to many fans all over the world."

    It'll be of interest to many people till Euro 2012 is over. Can I not backshift it?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Correspondents from many editions were able to get the latest information on co-hosting Euro 2012, that has been of interest to many fans all over the world."

    It'll be of interest to many people till Euro 2012 is over. Can I not backshift it?
    What do you mean?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What do you mean?
    Is it OK with "that has been of interest.........."?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Is it OK with "that has been of interest.........."?
    Yes, but I don't know what is meant by 'correspondents from many editions'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 87
    #5

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Is it OK with "that has been of interest.........."?
    NOT A TEACHER!

    Personally, the reason that you can use present perfect here is because "that has been of interest to many fans all over the world" is there to give more detail about Euro 2012. Therefore, it does not have anything to do with correspondents getting information of any kinds.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Yes, but I don't know what is meant by 'correspondents from many editions'.
    A correspondent works for one of the several versions of a newspaper or magazine that are printed. Would there be a word that coveys generic meaning similar to a news agency? A term that can be used for both a newspaper and a magazine? Perhaps a publishing house?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: past simple+present perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    A correspondent works for one of the several versions of a newspaper or magazine that are printed. Would there be a word that coveys generic meaning similar to a news agency? A term that can be used for both a newspaper and a magazine? Perhaps a publishing house?
    Would there be a word?

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] This is the first time/Past Simpel/Past Perfect/Present Simple
    By Kotfor in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2011, 10:00
  2. [Grammar] Present perfect, simple past, present perfect progressive
    By dilodi83 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-May-2010, 08:44
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2008, 07:04
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 17:18
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2005, 03:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •