Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is "retail food chain"?

Context:

Context:

Advanced cephalosporins can no longer be used as empirical therapy in many countries. Hence, carbapenems, an antibiotic class that represents the last available weapon against many gram-negative bacilli, are being used increasingly for empirical therapy. Resistance to these agents will accelerate if carbapenems become standard first-line therapy worldwide, particularly in intensive care, where selective pressure and transmission risks are highest. Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter species can be highly resistant to ceftazidime, fluoroquinolones, and carbapenems. An increasing number of organisms are resistant to all antibiotics, including colistin12. K pneumoniae and E coli will probably become increasingly resistant to carbapenems by harbouring carbapenemases or nucleoside diphosphate enzymes, such as the New Delhi metallo-betalactamase (NDM1) 13. The spread of these resistant gram-negative organisms should be regarded as a growing but insufficiently publicised pandemic.Some drug resistance among Enterobacteriaceae came from the use of antibiotics in animals in the retail food chain. E coli and Salmonella strains resistant to fluoroquinolones and third-generation cephalosporins 14 have been associated with meat and poultry products.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Congratulations. I am impressed. ;-)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it's a literal meaning here- the animals that are reared for consumption as food in all forms- a chain leading to us.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Wow, NewHopeR!

You understand all that other stuff but get stumped by retail food chain?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wish I'd been privately educated.:cry:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Maybe I'm missing something here :-?, but has the question been answered?
"Retail Food Chain" refers to the retail distribution system where parts of the animals that were treated with these advanced antibiotics ended up being sold. Marks and Spencer in the UK and Safeway in the US are examples of retail food chains.
However, in this article, "retail food chain" refers to all retailers that make up the distribution system (M&S, Safeway and thousands of others) that delivers goods to the end consumer. The sentence should have been written along the lines of "Some drug resistance among Enterobacteriaceae came from the use of antibiotics in animals that ended up for sale in the retail food chain."

Cheers,
John

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How informative!