Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In article of The Glorious Messiness of English by Robert MacNeil, three sentences are mentioned as poor examples of English expression. Could you point out the problem in each sentence and also provide a better way of expressing the same meaning?
1. sign in a Tokyo hotel: ‘You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.’
2. In a Pakistani hotel: ‘Please leave your values at the front desk.’
3. in a Zurich hotel: ‘Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the bedrooms, it is suggested that the lobby used for this purpose.’

Thank you very much[FONT=&#23435]
[/FONT]

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In article of The Glorious Messiness of English by Robert MacNeil, three sentences are mentioned as poor examples of English expression. Could you point out the problem in each sentence and also provide a better way of expressing the same meaning?
1. sign in a Tokyo hotel: ‘You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.’
2. In a Pakistani hotel: ‘Please leave your values at the front desk.’
3. in a Zurich hotel: ‘Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the bedrooms, it is suggested that the lobby used for this purpose.’

Thank you very much

What do you think?

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my opinion, in the first one: take advantage of is improperly used
in the second one: values should be replaced by valuables, but is it OK to use the front dest instead of the reception?
in the third one, I just feel it's strange, and do not know the meaning quite clearly.
So how can I express these sentences in a proper way?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thank you for those sentences. They are really funny!

(2) It is super important that you understand why they are funny.

(3) As the moderator suggested, why don't you tell us what you think those

sentences mean. Then the excellent teachers will check your answers.

I am still laughing at those sentences. Everyone needs to laugh. It's good for

one's heath. :lol: Thanks a lot!

P.S. Those sentences prove that companies in non-English-speaking countries should hire

native speakers to check their English-language notices.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thank you for those sentences. They are really funny!

(2) It is super important that you understand why they are funny.

(3) As the moderator suggested, why don't you tell us what you think those

sentences mean. Then the excellent teachers will check your answers.

I am still laughing at those sentences. Everyone needs to laugh. It's good for

one's heath. :lol: Thanks a lot!

P.S. Those sentences prove that companies in non-English-speaking countries should hire

native speakers to check their English-language notices.
I have already given my idea here. But I'm not sure about the third sentence

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have already given my idea here. But I'm not sure about the third sentence

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I want you to have the best answers possible, so I shall wait with you

for a teacher to give us the answers. I am not intelligent enough to give you the

very best answers.

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Not a teacher.

Although I’m almost cracking up with laughter at this wonderful sentence (but no, I’ll bite my tongue), may I point out that sentence 3 also contains a grammatical mistake?

Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the bedrooms, it is suggested that the lobby [be] used for this purpose.

(The verb was missing in your sample sentence. I think it should be “be”, i.e. the subjunctive mood, because of the verb “suggested”.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I1. sign in a Tokyo hotel: ‘You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.’
The writer intended to suggest that guests make full use of the opportunity of having somebody who will make your bed and clean your room.

Most people would read it as an (inintended) invitation to make use of the chambermaid unfairly, i.e, sexually. I wouldn't, of course.:cool:

Read it that way, I mean.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With the third example, the amusement comes from the use of "entertaining guests in your bedroom". That is generally taken to mean having a romantic/sexual liaison. To suggest that instead of doing this in the bedroom, it should be done in the lobby, in public, is rather funny, don't you think?

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank emsr2d2 and fivejedjon for the explanation. I feel the expression of "entertaining guests of opposite sex" is quite odd and gives rise to an interpretation of sexual liaison. But what did it intend to say? To receive guests of the opposite sex? In addtion, do natives use the expression of "people of the opposite sex"?
Another question: Is front desk usu usd to refer to reception desk?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank emsr2d2 and fivejedjon for the explanation. I feel the expression of "entertaining guests of opposite sex" is quite odd and gives rise to an interpretation of sexual liaison. But what did it intend to say? To receive guests of the opposite sex? In addtion, do natives use the expression of "people of the opposite sex"?
Another question: Is front desk usu usd to refer to reception desk?

The hotel simply meant to allow people of the opposite sex to visit your room. It is technically correct still to say that when someone visits your house (even just for a cup of coffee and a piece of cake or for a formal dinner) that you are "entertaining" them. However, it does have this double meaning.

Innocent meaning:
I'm sorry. I can't speak to you at the moment. I'm entertaining guests.
I can't come to the theatre on Tuesday evening. I will be entertaining.

Not so innocent meaning:
I met a girl last night. We had a drink at a bar and by 10pm I was "entertaining" her in my bedroom.

"People of the opposite sex" is the only way I can think of to express that meaning, if it is required.

Yes, we use "reception", "front desk", "reception desk" for the desk that is usually in the lobby of a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.