Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    stand a test

    Is it possible to say "stand to the test of time" meaning to not survive the test of time but something that will be proven either right or wrong by the test of time?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #2

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Is it possible to say "stand to the test of time" meaning to not survive the test of time but something that will be proven either right or wrong by the test of time?
    No. "To stand the test of time" has nothing to do with something being right or wrong - it simply goes to show the durability of something (whether it is a physical thing or an idea or a concept etc).

    "Only time will tell [whether it's right or wrong]"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No. "To stand the test of time" has nothing to do with something being right or wrong - it simply goes to show the durability of something (whether it is a physical thing or an idea or a concept etc).

    "Only time will tell [whether it's right or wrong]"
    Do you guys ever say to stand to the test of time? If so, what would it mean?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,479
    #4

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Do you guys ever say to stand to the test of time? If so, what would it mean?
    No.

    We only say stand the test of time.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #5

    Re: stand a test

    There are examples of people using it on the internet, but I wouldn't use it. Quite a few of the examples are not native speakers.
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Oct-2011 at 10:05. Reason: Changing naive -> native

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    There are examples of people using it on the internet, but I wouldn't use it. Quite a few of the examples are not native speakers.
    When would native speakers use it? Would you be talking about "stand to the test of time"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,479
    #7

    Re: stand a test

    Reread my post #4.

    If you want examples of incorrect usage you'll have to search the internet yourself.

    Rover

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #8

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    When would native speakers use it? Would you be talking about "stand to the test of time"?
    As you've been told, native speakers would not use it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #9

    Re: stand a test

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    When would native speakers use it? Would you be talking about "stand to the test of time"?
    Yes, I am, and my advice is not to use it.

Similar Threads

  1. I can't stand it
    By raylearnenglish in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2010, 17:26
  2. test or test-paper
    By Clark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2008, 04:40
  3. stand the test of time
    By lalda222 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2008, 00:09
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2007, 12:09
  5. i need some hints for my final test (ENGLISH TEST)
    By fantomboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2005, 15:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •