Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Richard Gere is not a hurricane Catrina denier. I just said it to you so we didn't have to watch "Pretty Woman" for the 74th time."

What does "hurricane Catrina deinier" mean in it?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A Catrina denier is someone who denies Catrina -- I would guess. I have no idea why Richard Gere should be a Catrina denier. You've been here for over a year now, ostap. Have you not noticed that answers can be much more satisfying when you provide context?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
A Catrina denier is someone who denies Catrina -- I would guess. I have no idea why Richard Gere should be a Catrina denier. You've been here for over a year now, ostap. Have you not noticed that answers can be much more satisfying when you provide context?

Than I would have to get you the whole script of "Happy Endings", episode 1 season 2. There's been a tiny dispute between spouses where the housband said this to his wife. They just wanted to be honest with each other and say what things each of them didn't like.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't understand the minutiae of the context, but don't be misled by dictionaries that tell you 'denier' is something to do with the thickness of fabric! It can be (pronounced /'deniǝ/); but here it is just the noun formed from 'deny'. I expect the most frequent use of this sort of 'denier' is in the expression 'Holocaust denier'. On that analogy, a 'hurricane C(K?)atrina denier' would be someone who holds that the media reports about that hurricane were a hoax or a conspiracy.

Perhaps, in the context, it's something to do with TV viewing preferences. One prefers documentaries - even ones involving ponitless speculation about manifestly real events; the other prefers re-runs of romantic comedies (or whatever Pretty Woman is - it 'ain't my cup o' meat').

b

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
[FONT=&quot]Hurricane K[/FONT][FONT=&quot]atrina killed 1,836 people in August of 2005. It remains the costliest natural disaster in the history of The United States. A “Hurricane K[/FONT][FONT=&quot]atrina denier” would be someone who denies that the hurricane happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with watching Pretty Woman for the 74th time!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with watching Pretty Woman for the 74th time!
:roll:

Now, if you were talking about Casablanca, :up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I've seen Casablanca more times than any movie except The Princess Bride.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The charged word "denier" (because of the very real and reprehensible "Holocaust denial") has become all-too-common in politics today. It has become fashionable in certain factions to cast those who do not share your beliefs as "deniers" of some indisputable scientific fact.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think I've seen Casablanca more times than any movie except The Princess Bride.
I was going to compliment you on your taste until I came to the last three words.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That movie is hysterical. Have you seen it? Really watched it? It's one of the most quoted movies I know.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

This could be our motto here!

Status
Not open for further replies.