Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I have two examples:

"I was wondering whether it is..."
"I was wondering if it is..."

Are both of these correct from a native speaker's standpoint?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have two examples:

Are both of these correct from a native speaker's standpoint?

"Maybe, but........................"

lasue

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Extended examples would be:

"I was wondering whether it is possible to drink while you drive."
"I was wondering if it is possible to drink while you drive."

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

I am wondering whether it is expensive (or not).
I am wondering if it is expensive.

whether can be followed by or not at the end, whereas if cant not followed by or not.

lasue

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Ok, thanks. I wanted to know whether it's a mistake to put "if" in place of "whether".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am wondering whether it is expensive (or not).
I am wondering if it is expensive.

whether can be followed by or not at the end, whereas if cant not followed by or not.
But you could say, ".........if it is expensive, or not".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
whether can be followed by or not at the end, whereas if can[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE] not be followed by or not.
This is incorrect. 'Whether' can be followed immediately by 'or not'; 'if' cannot.

I am wondering whether it is expensive or not.:tick:
I am wondering whether or not it is expensive.
:tick:
I am wondering if it is expensive or not. :tick:
I am wondering if [STRIKE]or not[/STRIKE] it is expensive.

In the first three examples, 'or not' is optional.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here are some more thoughts on the subject. Note that they are what I think, and so are not to be taken as authoritative.

[FONT=&quot]7.1. IF and WHETHER[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]I don't know if/whether Mila is coming tomorrow (or not).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]I am going out if Mila is coming. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]I am going out whether Mila is coming or not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At first sight there is little difference in meaning in [73] whether we use IF or WHETHER, though only with the latter does or not have an acceptable alternative position immediately preceding Mila. In [74], however, WHETHER cannot be used, and in [75] most native speakers would find IF unusual. There is clearly, therefore, a difference in meaning between the two words. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With IF we are considering the uncertainty of a happening or state. This means that we are not certain of its actual happening or state: its non-happening or non-state is a possibility, but that negative situation is not explicitly (or implicitly) considered. Indeed, the negative situation may change the meaning of the utterance as a whole. In [74], the speaker states only that in the event of Mila's coming, he is going out. The implication that in the event of Mila's not-coming the speaker will not go out may be intended by the speaker, or such an inference may be drawn by the listener, but it is impossible to say for sure. We have a double uncertainty: about the happening or state in the IF-clause, and about the consequence stated in the other clause in the event of non-happening or non-state.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With WHETHER, on the other hand, the negative situation is always implicitly (and often explicitly) stated, and may change the meaning of the utterance as a whole. In [75] there is certainty that the speaker is going out. The single uncertainty is about the happening or state in the WHETHER-clause. The two utterances are fundamentally different in meaning, a necessity highlighted by the need to add or not to the WHETHER-clause [75] and the need not to add it to the IF-clause [74].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][73] presents a different situation. Here, there is still the same uncertainty about whether Mila is coming. However if the speaker does not know about her coming, then he clearly does not know about her not-coming. Knowing is not a consequence of coming, as opposed to going out in [74], which is a consequence of coming. Thus, while the difference in meaning between IF and WHETHER is the same as ever, the differences in the practical results of the difference in meanings are minimal. This explains why we can use either word in such non-consequential statements, and also why if not is acceptable (or omissible) with both words.[/FONT]

http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/If.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.