Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is this "previously expressed expectations"? Is it her wish to get recognized in her report or something? Would she have shown in her report that she did this or that and indirectly did she wanted to be complimented in what she did well? Can you guess what it means?

ex)One day when I entered the office of a small-business owner I know, he asked me how the front-desk employee treated me on my way into the office. I said "She is a great ambassador for your business. She is always cheerful and helpful."
"She ignored me today" he said, "I gave her some feedback by email two days ago. Then she missed work the next day. She always calls in sick the day after I give her feedback" He told me the scenario, which sounded like a terrible delivery of feedback. This manager had no training in giving feedback properly, so he probably did not related his comments to previously expressed expectations.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Seems hard to guess the meaning. What expectation did she make in her reporting?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Seems hard to guess the meaning. What expectation did she make in her reporting?

Maybe the writer made a vague meaning in there.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can someone explain this to me? It's my final request, otherwise I will give up!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it refers to his expectations of how she should be performing at work. Feedback to an employee is only of any use if you can refer it back to how you already asked that employee to behave or perform.

So, for example, if he gives her feedback at the end of every month, it would be reasonable to assume that at the beginning of each month, he tells her what he expects from her over the next four weeks. At the end of the month, what he told her would become his "previously expressed expectations".

If he goes into her feedback session and says "You didn't complete 100 typed reports last month" but he didn't tell her at the beginning of the month that he expected her to complete 100 reports, then that is a poor feedback system.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think it refers to his expectations of how she should be performing at work. Feedback to an employee is only if any use if you can refer it back to how you already asked that employee to behave or perform.

So, for example, if he gives her feedback at the end of every month, it would be reasonable to assume that at the beginning of each month, he tells her what he expects from her over the next four weeks. At the end of the month, what he told her would become his "previously expressed expectations".

If he goes into her feedback session and says "You didn't complete 100 typed reports last month" but he didn't tell her at the beginning of themonth that he expected her to complete 100 reports, then that is a poor feedback system.

Perfect!!!Perfect!!!! :up::up::up::lol::lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perfect!!!Perfect!!!! :up::up::up::lol::lol:

Wow, 2 perfects, 8 exclamation marks, a heap of smilies and 4 likes from the other teachers I respect the most!

I guess I did OK! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.