Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 117
    #1

    plus/plus

    Hello all,

    What does plus/plus mean in this sentence?

    'He is a norm, so hes covered in special padding that replicates the physiology of a plus/plus.'

    Context is, the speaker is talking about a man who is a boxing trainer and he's adjusting his pads before fighting. But I didn't understand the meaning of ' physiology of a plus/plus'. What is he replicating?

    Thanks :)

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,817
    #2

    Re: plus/plus

    Quote Originally Posted by shinem View Post
    Hello all,

    What does plus/plus mean in this sentence?

    'He is a norm, so hes covered in special padding that replicates the physiology of a plus/plus.'

    Context is, the speaker is talking about a man who is a boxing trainer and he's adjusting his pads before fighting. But I didn't understand the meaning of ' physiology of a plus/plus'. What is he replicating?

    Thanks :)
    I think he's talking about clothing sizes. Larger sizes are sometimes described as "plus sizes".

    Clothes come in S (small), M (medium), L (large), XL (extra large) and XXL (extra extra large).

    I would guess that XXL might be described as "plus/plus" in some circles. So basically it's saying that the person is wearing so much padding that he's huge - he has the body shape of someone who has to wear "plus/plus" size clothes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 117
    #3

    Re: plus/plus

    Oh, I see :)

    Then at the beginning of the sentence, saying that he's a norm means that he's a model or sth else?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: plus/plus

    Quote Originally Posted by shinem View Post
    Then at the beginning of the sentence, saying that he's a norm means that he's a model or something else?
    No. He's a normal size, M or L.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 117
    #5

    Re: plus/plus

    Hmmm then he has a standart body shape but wearing large clothes as fighting? Am I correct?

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,817
    #6

    Re: plus/plus

    Quote Originally Posted by shinem View Post
    Hmmm then he has a standart body shape but wearing large clothes as fighting? Am I correct?
    Naturally, he is a "normal" size (maybe a "medium") but he is wearing padding - layers of thick clothes to stop him being hurt. With all the padding, he looks like someone who would wear XXL size clothes. It doesn't say he's wearing large clothes. It says he is wearing lots of padding, which is making him look bigger than he is naturally.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 117
    #7

    Re: plus/plus

    Ok, thank you very much for explanation :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •