• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

to break up the big corporation of today

Does this "to break up the big corporation of today" mean "destroy" or "subdivide"?

ex)E-commerce is to the information revolution what the railroad was to the industrial revolution. While the railroad mastered distance, e-commerce eliminates it. The Internet provides enterprises with the ability to link one activity to another and to make realtime data widely available. It strengthens the move to break up the big corporation of today. But the greatest strength of e-commerce is that it provides the consumer with a whole range of products...........

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: to break up the big corporation of today

No, I don't think that the use of the term "break-up" means destroy or subdivide in this small bit of context you have provided.
    Neither e-commerce nor the Internet has destroyed the railroad industry, but they certainly have changed the way it does business. I doubt the author actually means that the Internet strengthens the move to destroy or eliminate big corporations (after all, Amazon, Microsoft and Oracle are huge corporations) but rather the way in which large industries conduct business. This may result in eliminating - or subdividing - certain sectors that new technology can make more cost-effective. The Internet may strengthen the move to change some older manufacturing-based heavy industries, but I don't think that the trend is to destroy, I think it's to help them evolve and become more competitive. I would have favored the term "streamline" rather than "break-up."
    John