• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

will typically

Please have a look at the sentence - "This will typically be a limited partnership."

I often come accross a combination of modal "will" with "typically" in official texts and textbooks with similar meaning. As far as I understand, will in such contexts itself means "what generally happens - as Longman says". But why "typically" is added - what is the main idea behind this - please explain to me. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: will typically

They can't say "This will be a limited partnership" because there are cases where other arrangements will be made.

So they speak of a "typical" case. One that defines the situation for a majority, for the most common case.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Thank you for your comments. Wouldyou please clarify a little bit? I am still a little bit confused as In the context of "what generally happens" the phrase "this will be a limited partnership" for me would mean it is generally (normally, as a rule, typically) a limited partnership" - i.e. suggesting itself that it is still a room for another type of company to apply. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am not sure why your dictionary says that "will" means that something generally happens. I read it as a definite.

If you say "I will bring donuts to the Monday morning meeting" there had better be donuts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Dear Olevg,
    Peter and Paul have decided that they would like to open a guitar shop. They know all about the guitar business but they don’t have enough money to start up the venture properly. One day, Peter met Mary who was waiting on line for a 9 Frappadingchino at Starbucks. They struck up a conversation and Mary mentioned that she was looking to put money into a guitar shop because she heard it was a good investment. However, she knew nothing about guitars. Peter took Mary to meet Paul and they all decided to see an attorney who specialized in forming new businesses. They explained their plan, and the attorney said, “Because only two of you know about the guitar business and the third just wants to invest for profit, what we generally do is form a partnership. In cases like yours, the type of partnership we form will typically be a “limited partnership.”

In situations like yours it’s typical to form a "limited partnership" rather than any other kind of partnership.

Are we getting anywhere?

John
    Last edited by JohnParis; 10-Oct-2011 at 18:37. Reason: spacing

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

John,
    why was Mary waiting on line to get a cup of coffee at Starbucks? I mean: why on line and not in line (= in a row of people). She wasn't online like I'm now.
    Is this a variant?

(Sorry for highjacking this topic, but I thought it wasn't worth a separate thread.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emka View Post
    John,
    why was Mary waiting on line to get a cup of coffee at Starbucks? I mean: why on line and not in line (= in a row of people). She wasn't online like I'm now.
    Is this a variant?

(Sorry for highjacking this topic, but I thought it wasn't worth a separate thread.)
    Yes, it's a variant. People in New York wait on line. People here in PA wait in line.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by olegv View Post
    I am still a little bit confused as In the context of "what generally happens" the phrase "this will be a limited partnership" for me would mean it is generally (normally, as a rule, typically) a limited partnership" - i.e. suggesting itself that it is still a room for another type of company to apply. Thank you.
    Your understanding of 'will be' is not correct. 'Will' expresses certainty. This certainty can be weakened by adverbs such as 'probably, generally, usually', etc.