Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Could somebody point me to a website, or maybe a few, where I can refresh my rusty knowledge of sentence patterns, parts of speech or whatever it is called by linguists and language teachers? I want to be able to identify words and phrases by their form and their function in a sentence.

Of course a google search brings up a lot of hits, the effect being that I am overwhelmed and don’t know where to start. So far the result has been that the material has scared me off.

I don’t want to buy a book (yet), and I don’t want it described at PhD level where I am presented with tree structures that look as confusing as chemical formulas to me.

As I am a visual learner, I am looking for something that’s typographically well designed using colours, bolding, boxes or other means of illustrating what is what (e.g. by providing model sentences in which the words or phrases are marked in a certain colour that corresponds with a term/category/part of speech previously explained and assigned that respective colour). It is basically what one would do with a marker pen when analysing sentence structures in class. There may be other or better ways to deal with this topic, but this method of dissecting sentences into bits, colour coding them and analysing the words or phrases has proven very effective for me with Latin.

Thank you.

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thanks, dawnngcm, for trying to help me. I have been watching the clicks on my thread as they were creeping up towards 100 (91 right now) and attracting no answer whatsoever.:-(

No, unfortunately that’s not what I am looking for. It is too exercise-oriented.

I am looking for something like this:
The Parts of Speech, which is exactly the content, level of language, and mix of definitions, rules and a few examples that work for me. Unfortunately the visual presentation is very basic. I have a very small laptop screen, so it is really hard on my eyes to work on something like that for longer periods of time. I may consider printing it all out and then going over it with coloured marker pens to make it look the way I need it. I had just hoped somebody would know a website where this had already been done.

Maybe I expect too much, and obviously my specifications were too narrow.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I am a visual learner, I am looking for something that’s typographically well designed using colours, bolding, boxes or other means of illustrating what is what
I can't help you on the parts of speech - I don't know of any sites offering what you want.

. If you are interested in a visual presentation of verb forms, are pages 30 and 31 of this http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/VerbForms.pdf of any interest? It's not typographically well-designed (I did it with Word), but some of my trainers found it useful.

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The 100-click threshold has been reached and - lo and behold - some useful feedback is coming in :-D

Thanks for the presentation, and yes, it is useful. Verb forms is a sub-area I was going to take a closer look at anyway. I printed the whole thing out and will have a read over the weekend. I also printed out some chapters from the University of Ottawa website so that I can start highlighting in colour to my heart's content now. Have already packed some Edding markers...

Status
Not open for further replies.