Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"so is/was does etc " and "as is/was/does etc" both carry the meaning of " what has just been said is also true about someone or something else" , So what's the difference between the two phrases?
Thanks.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The meaning's essentially the same - more a question of register: 'as + <verb> + <subject>' is more formal; the 'as' version also implies an 'and':

You want it, as do I = You want it, and so do I. The implied 'and' might be replaced by a sentence break: 'You want it. So do I.'

It's not only more formal, but used in rhetoric: Obama might say 'They want justice, as do we all', whereas his predecessor might have said 'They want a fair crack of the whip, and - heck - so do we'. ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Obama might say 'They want justice, as do we all', whereas his predecessor might have said 'They want a fair crack of the whip, and - heck - so do we'.
I think he's more likely to have said, "...heck - we'll whip 'em".

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Please, forgive me for being off-topic, but having read the last two posts, I couldn't resist sharing this picture with you. :-D I hope ya'll don't mind it, and the respected moderators won't open up a can of whoop ass on me. ;-) (I wonder if anyone uses this phrase. :-? )

bush_canofwhoopass.jpg

:mrgreen:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, I started it with an ill-chosen example :oops:, but let's get back on topic. ;-) Any other views on the 'so/as' question?

b

Status
Not open for further replies.