Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When learning new concepts, are forms of sentences allowed for absorption? Apparently copying other peoples' words are not allowed but what about previous learned combinations of words, concepts and structures?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are writing a paper for school, or a book or some other project, you must put the concept or idea into your own words for it not to be considered plagiarism.

If you are simply "abosorbing" facts or concepts - which I presume means you are reading and remembering such facts - then there is no question of plagiarism involved because you are not duplicating or reporting the information.

Perhaps if you provide more details we can better answer your question. Are you writing a research paper for school or giving a speech? In what context will you be using the learned concepts and structures?

Alive01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I haven't given much attention to academic honesty and integrity in the past, so this year I'm interested about some things I've read about ethics. There's sections like Plagiarism which strictly wants you to cite anything you get off someone else. What I don't understand is if this can stretch to concepts and structures of the language? When I write, I like to check the sentences I've formed. So I sometimes check google for an assignment I'm doing and if I find better similar forms of words I sometimes want to replace the new found ones with what I've written. Can this be wrong in any way for a school essay? Another example is a second language I'm undertaking where I usually try to absorb word combinations so that I can use it in the way I like or in the way I absorbed it. I asked two teachers which said it's fine though one of them didn't quite understand what I was trying to say (I didn't continue asking about it to that teacher). But when you actually read the ethics, guidelines etc. you see all kinds of things starting from how someone else's words are intellectual property.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you find that someone else has written about something using better wording than your own, and you replace your words with their words, that's plagerism.

Alive01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Unintentional Plagiarism can therefore happen as well. A lot of wording can be similar to other wordings in any area. This can be due to absorption of structures. Search Google "If you find that someone else has" but that's your words right? Perhaps everything would then be plagiarism? If a word combination like "Shedding light on" is found from a newspaper whilst reading it, how can it be wrong to absorb it and use it in your own essay?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine not the first person to write "I smell troll" either.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Unintentional Plagiarism can therefore happen as well. A lot of wording can be similar to other wordings in any area. This can be due to absorption of structures. Search Google "If you find that someone else has" but that's your words right? Perhaps everything would then be plagiarism? If a word combination like "Shedding light on" is found from a newspaper whilst reading it, how can it be wrong to absorb it and use it in your own essay?

Unintentional plagiarism can occur- if someone uses an idea and they have genuinely forgotten that it came from another source, it would be unintentional. However, no one is going to regard a standard phrase like shedding light on as plagiarism.

Alive01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Whatever.

Unintentional plagiarism can occur- if someone uses an idea and they have genuinely forgotten that it came from another source, it would be unintentional. However, no one is going to regard a standard phrase like shedding light on as plagiarism.

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Last edited:

Alive01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

[OFFTOPIC] You may need to make the distinction between critical and creative thinking & off-topic messages before responding like that in the future.

Peace.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Closing thread