Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

I have recently returned from The U.S realising a few very obvious differences between British English and American English, apart from the accent.

What I noticed more as anything was the way Americans say numbers. On one occasion when I said one hundred 'and' fifty I was told that I should say one hundred fifty, without the 'and'. I also heard a journalist say 'In the Presidents speech, Tuesday', instead of 'In the Presidents speech 'on' Tuesday'. Small differences I know, but it stuck out like a sore thumb.

On the way back home on the plane when I was reading my book I thought, how would this story be without conjunctions and prepositions!

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and being Spanish I can say that Spanish Castellano and American Castellano is also full in interesting differences too. I assume that Spanish grammar has a very strong influence on American English, which could explain these differences.

Un abrazo

Ana

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Spanish has added new words to AmE, but I don't thing that the grammar has had much of an influence. Sometimes AmE has retained older forms while BrE has changed; sometimes the reverse has happened.

Don't forget that, within the main varieties of English, there are dialectical differences, When we talk of 'British English', we are talking of a rather abstract concept in some ways. Some of the regional variations within the United Kingdom and Ireland occasionally use structures that have more in common with standard American English than with standard British English. Just to take one example, many speakers of British English dialects, like speakers of most dialects of American English, never had the shall/will usage that was supposedly standard British English.

bearings

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What I noticed more as anything was the way Americans say numbers. On one occasion when I said one hundred 'and' fifty I was told that I should say one hundred fifty, without the 'and'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So are you saying Americans do NOT use the "and" or that they do and no one else does?

I say it sometimes, and I omit it sometimes.

He was going a hundred, maybe a hundred twenty, miles per hour when he hit that tree. -- Sounds fine either way.

I think there were about a hundred and twenty kids at the dance. -- Sounds weird without the "and."

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So are you saying Americans do NOT use the "and" or that they do and no one else does?
It's more regional than anything else. I'd say "one-hundred and twenty" more often than not.

The times where I wouldn't would be when I'd want to convey information faster or perhaps when I was conjecturing.

I'm from Chicago, by the way.

Ana_w

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello

Thank you for your replies

I was in Washington on my last visit. This is where I noticed the differences.
On the first occasion I went to New Orleans. The people there would say one hundred 'and' fifty, for example. I also noticed that they spoke a little more slowly and they seemed to enjoy the art of conversation, and they wanted you to listen and understand. I liked New Orleans.

Ana:-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
New Orleans is awesome if you can stand the humidity!

bearings

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I like it !,thanks for you sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.