• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question Can you please help me understand the sequence here

Hello,

I came across a news story about a man being arrested for murder. But I am confused about the sequence. Could you please help me understand if the following sequence is correct?

1. Martinez was arrested in 1999 for killing David Walker
    2. Martinez shot Francis a dozen times on Sept 3 and this whole thing was on caught on a camera
    3. Martinez stabbed a man in the neck

I am confused because if he shot some dead on Sept 3, does this mean he was not arrested till he stabbed someone?

Thank you

-----

[Edit: For convenience I am adding the news story here. Please feel free to remove it.]

Staten Island man commits murder to get even after victim had spit in wife’s face, cops say

John Doyle, DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    A Staten Island man who beat a murder rap more than a decade ago is back in the can after surveillance camera footage showed him using a gun to get even - permanently - with a neighbor, police said.
    Asim Martinez, 32, committed murder in a rage after his neighbor, Tracy Francis, spit in Martinez's wife's face, a law enforcement source told the Daily News Wednesday.
    Martinez, seeking to avenge the disgusting slight of his wife, found Francis inside his apartment building on Park Hill Ave. in Stapleton about 2:30 a.m. on Sept. 3.
    He shot Francis a dozen times, a police source said.
    But he picked a bad spot for murder: the entire incident was filmed on the building's surveillance camera, authorities said.
    Police collared Martinez Wednesday on Marcy Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, after he once again turned to violence to punish a man who had wronged a woman in his life. This time, Martinez stabbed a man in the neck with an ice pick after he had slapped Martinez's female cousin, a police source said.
    Martinez was arrested in the summer of 1999 for allegedly shooting David Walker, 19, to death on a basketball court at Staten Island's Stapleton Houses.
    He was set free after a grand jury empaneled under then-District Attorney William Murphy opted not to indict him.
    Martinez now faces charges of murder and weapons possession, said a spokesman for Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan Jr.

Last edited by Olympian; 14-Oct-2011 at 18:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Can you please help me understand the sequence here

I tried to answer your question, but got confused flicking between your link and your questions. I am not in favour of big quotations with questions, but it would have helped here. If nobody answers your questions soon, I will come back and paste the quote and your questions here, and try to answer them

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I tried to answer your question, but got confused flicking between your link and your questions. I am not in favour of big quotations with questions, but it would have helped here. If nobody answers your questions soon, I will come back and paste the quote and your questions here, and try to answer them
    @fivejedjon, I was hesitating to add the story because of the length. But after reading your reply, I have edited my original posting and added the story there for convenience.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

It is not your English that is at fault. That text is not clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympian View Post
    1. Martinez was arrested in 1999 for killing David Walker
    Yes, arrested, but released - presumably because of lack of conclusive evidence.

2. Martinez shot Francis a dozen times on Sept 3 and this whole thing was on caught on a camera. Yes.
    3. Martinez stabbed a man in the neck. Yes - at some time after the murder of Francis.

I am confused because if he shot some dead on Sept 3, does this mean he was not arrested till he stabbed someone?
    That's right. I assume that the police simply could not find him until the stabbing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It is not your English that is at fault. That text is not clear!
    @fivejedjon, thank you , and thank you for clarifying the sequence also.