Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    since when did

    I'm guessing fivejedjon is going to say that I'm "on a hell bound train" in terms of lingustics but I'll ask this question. Here's what I heard in a series "Against the wall". Eevents in it take place in Chicago.

    "So Rob came over. So what.? I'm single. It was a damn homicide convention for God sake! Ok, Yeah! We had sex. Since when did the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?" Hope there will be no hard feelings taken. Why would the speaker use the present simle in "Since when did ........."?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Since when did the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?" Hope there will be no hard feelings taken. Why would the speaker use the present simle in "Since when did ........."?
    He didn't.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    He didn't.
    I mean the past simple vs the present perfect/present perfect progressive thing?

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #4

    Re: since when did

    Semantics aside ,as for "why" someone would use this phraseology in AmE we use "since when does/did/is/are" when confronted with something unexpected or unbelieveable or surprising.

    Examples:

    A friend arrives at your house wearing a Western-style scarf tied around his neck as part of his normal clothing. You personally think he's hopelessly out of style, so you remark: "Since when did bandanas come back into fashion? I must have missed that issue of GQ."


    One of your employees arrives at your rather conservative office wearing flip-flops on her feet. As a way of telling her that such footwear is inappropriate you ask her: "Since when did shower shoes become part of the dress code?"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Semantics aside ,as for "why" someone would use this phraseology in AmE we use "since when does/did/is/are" when confronted with something unexpected or unbelieveable or surprising.

    Examples:

    A friend arrives at your house wearing a Western-style scarf tied around his neck as part of his normal clothing. You personally think he's hopelessly out of style, so you remark: "Since when did bandanas come back into fashion? I must have missed that issue of GQ."


    One of your employees arrives at your rather conservative office wearing flip-flops on her feet. As a way of telling her that such footwear is inappropriate you ask her: "Since when did shower shoes become part of the dress code?"
    What would be the difference if , hypothetically speaking, I threw in "Since when does....."?

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #6

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What would be the difference if , hypothetically speaking, I threw in "Since when does....."?
    The present tense is possible too. Let's say a friend of yours, who has always travelled everywhere by public transport, suddenly rolls up outside your front door driving a Porsche. You might say "Since when do you have a car?" or more likely "Since when can you afford a Porsche?"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The present tense is possible too. Let's say a friend of yours, who has always travelled everywhere by public transport, suddenly rolls up outside your front door driving a Porsche. You might say "Since when do you have a car?" or more likely "Since when can you afford a Porsche?"
    Would "Since when could you afford a Porsche?" mean the same?

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The present tense is possible too. Let's say a friend of yours, who has always travelled everywhere by public transport, suddenly rolls up outside your front door driving a Porsche. You might say "Since when do you have a car?" or more likely "Since when can you afford a Porsche?"
    In Br Eng I feel that we would prefer a present perfect here': 'Since when have you had a car?'/'Since when have you been able to afford a Porche?'.
    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would "Since when could you afford a Porsche?" mean the same?
    This would make sense (that is, one could make sense of it), but to my ear the present perfect woud sound better.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    In Br Eng I feel that we would prefer a present perfect here': 'Since when have you had a car?'/'Since when have you been able to afford a Porche?'.


    This would make sense (that is, one could make sense of it), but to my ear the present perfect woud sound better.

    b
    What's the difference between the following sentences?

    1)Since when did the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?"

    2)Since when does the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?"

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #10

    Re: since when did

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What's the difference between the following sentences?

    1)Since when did the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?"

    2)Since when does the IA( presumably Internal Affairs??) have the right to get involved in my sex life?"
    I would say the difference is in the time frame of the actual statement. If the statement were being made now, then "Since when does..." would be appropriate. However, in the book you quoted, and in most novels, the action takes place in the past so "Since when did..." would be appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •