• Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

tipped off not to

Dear teachers

Do these sentences read well?

Why did your boyfriend get cold feet?
    Well...He was told I had cheated on him.
    Did your father talk to him?
    Well... He has known my father for years, he wouldn't go there!
    I see.
    Does anybody else know about this happening?
    Yes, my boyfriend's brother.
    Hmm... I heard he was planning on escaping from jail...
    Yes, but he was tipped off not to, it's too dangerous, he may get himself killed in the process.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: tipped off not to

In this context, "tipped off" means that he was given some privileged information; someone who knows some behind-the-scenes secrets shared the information with him.

For example: You are in a restaurant and tell the waitress that you'd like the daily fresh fish entree. The waitress leans in and tells you confidentially: "I'll bring you the fish if that's what you want, but I thought I'd let you know that the chef tipped me off - the delivery truck hasn't been here for two days, so that 'fresh' fish has been in the freezer for a while."

Another example: You are a prison inmate and have been planning an escape over the course of several months. The afternoon prior to the night you are ready to set your plan in action another inmate whispers to you during meal time "Greasy Thumb Eddie tipped me off - he works in the warden's office and he overheard that there is going to be a state inspection of the prison first thing tomorrow. That means that tonight the place will be filled with folks cleaning and fixing things all night long."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: tipped off not to

Teacher, I really appreciate your efforts, but... I am sorry to say that I am a bit familiar with the meaning of 'to tip off'. Your explanation was great, though. I just wanted to know if 'tipped off not to' read well.
    This is kinda odd, but it's my way of learning new expressions etc, I tend to make up short stories such as this!

The guy in question, "the boyfriend", whose name is Jerry, has a brother who was arrested (and sentenced to 20 years in prison) for murdering an old man in a bar, he hit this poor old fellow over a silly argument.
    Mary, Jerry's girlfriend, is talking to Lisa, her "besty". Mary mentioned the danger involved in the scaping because she is afraid her boyfriend's brother, Mark, gets himself killed. The case is a bit complicated because Mary has been 'seeing' Mark behind the scenes. The guy is all-tears and she got a bit carried away by his emotional break-down and ended up sleeping with him.