• Thread starter Ksenia
  • Start date
  • Views : 5,681
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ksenia

Hello!
May I ask you about the meaning of the idiom 'fire on all cylinders' in the following sentence:

I think I need that sort of adrenalin to get me firing on all cylinders'.

I understand it as 'to do your best', 'to provide the maximum amount of power'.
Am I right?

Thank you!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!
May I ask you about the meaning of the idiom 'fire on all cylinders' in the following sentence:

I think I need that sort of adrenalin to get me firing on all cylinders'.

I understand it as 'to do your best', 'to provide the maximum amount of power'.
Am I right?

Thank you!

Yes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The number of cylinders has nothing to do with it being a 4-stroke engine. Firing on all 8 cylinders would have been the original American version.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The number of cylinders has nothing to do with it being a 4-stroke engine. Firing on all 8 cylinders would have been the original American version.
It has a lot to do with in when the expression is , "firing on all four".

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Regardless of the size of the motor, the expression "to get me firing on all cylinders" means to enable the machine to operate to its fullest capacity.
Ksyu-k's original definition (to provide the maximum amount of power) is slightly off. To enable the machine to provide the maximum amount of power would be slightly better.
Am I nitpicking?
John

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Regardless of the size of the motor, the expression "to get me firing on all cylinders" means to enable the machine to operate to its fullest capacity.
Ksyu-k's original definition (to provide the maximum amount of power) is slightly off. To enable the machine to provide the maximum amount of power would be slightly better.
Am I nitpicking?
John
:-? Is there a typo here? You seem to be contrasting two identical expressions 'to provide the maximum amount of power'....

Anyway, for the sake of argument let's consider a 4-stroke engine with four cylinders. Instead of going bang-bang-bang-bang for every full revolution of the crankshaft it goes bang-bang-cough-bang. Simplistically, it's running at 75% of full power. (I say 'simplistically' - I doubt if the maths works out like that when all's said and done - but it''l do for me; the car isn't running smoothly and it's underpowered. I imagine the lack of smoothness is more obvious than the lack of power.)

b

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Sorry - I can't find a typo.
to provide the maximum amount of power - vs. -
to enable the machine to provide the maximum amount of power

Ksyu-k's original understanding of the phrase was: (I need that sort of adrenaline "to provide the maximum amount of power").
My suggestion is: I need that sort of adrenaline to get the machine to give me the maximum amount of power.
My reasoning is that the machine need not be operating at the maximum amount of power to be operating correctly. All you need is to be hitting on all fours to do your best and to enable the machine to provide maximum power.
Conversely, you can't do your best if you don't have the ability to generate full power. To be able to generate full power, you have to be hitting on all four cylinders.

I need a nap - Perhaps I'm beginning to sound like Abbott and Costello.:-?
John

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I see what you mean now - about enabling the machine (not about Abbott and Costello). ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.