Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quoted from VOA news"
"Tracy Mathieu-Huffman was equally shaken. Emotional and fresh from bed - her iPhone belting out music - she had to get to Apple store again. But this time it was to commemorate her long time idol.
"It's about how wonderful he is as an individual. How he can inspire and transform reality almost by a touch!" she said."

"A lot of people were very critical of the iPhone 4S, because many were expecting the iPhone 5 to come out. I read a very touching and kind of surreal tweet tonight, that said the iPhone was named the iPhone 4S - for Steve. The 4-S really standing for Steve."
my questions are:
1.I don't see "Emotional and fresh from bed - her iPhone belting out music - " as a complete sentence, Is this structurally right?
2.what does " inspire and transform reality" mean?
3. what does surreal tweet mean?
thanks .

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1- According to the punctuation, it isn't a complete sentence.
2- Inspire people and I suppose the transformation of reality is the ease with which people can manipulate things on their screens by touch that wasn't possible until very recently.
3 A surreal message on Twitter- it's surreal because it may have more to do with the imagination of the person who wrote it than the facts behind the choice of the letter S.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1- According to the punctuation, it isn't a complete sentence.
2- Inspire people and I suppose the transformation of reality is the ease with which people can manipulate things on their screens by touch that wasn't possible until very recently.
3 A surreal message on Twitter- it's surreal because it may have more to do with the imagination of the person who wrote it than the facts behind the choice of the letter S.
1.What's the good of making the sentence incomplete? Besides the punctuation marks hyphens are between the " her iPhone belting out music ", not the whole sentence.
2.What does reality mean here? Does it mean people ? Inspire reality is equal to inpsire people?
3.To be honest, I don't really understand your explanation.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1.What's the good of making the sentence incomplete? Besides the punctuation marks hyphens are between the " her iPhone belting out music ", not the whole sentence.
2.What does reality mean here? Does it mean people ? Inspire reality is equal to inpsire people?
3.To be honest, I don't really understand your explanation.

1. Both "Emotional and fresh from bed" and "her iPhone belting out music" are additional clauses that help to describe the scene in the sentence. By themselves, they are not sentences.

2. It is 2 things:

a) inspire (people) AND
b) transform reality

It is NOT:

a) inspire reality AND
b) transform reality

3. Do you know what "surreal" means? Do you know that a "tweet" is a message on the "Twitter" service?

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. Both "Emotional and fresh from bed" and "her iPhone belting out music" are additional clauses that help to describe the scene in the sentence. By themselves, they are not sentences.

2. It is 2 things:

a) inspire (people) AND
b) transform reality

It is NOT:

a) inspire reality AND
b) transform reality

3. Do you know what "surreal" means? Do you know that a "tweet" is a message on the "Twitter" service?

"surreal" I think means "strang and unusal",I don't know "tweet" is a message on twitter, cus I never used twitter, I thought it was "a sound of bird".
Thank you very much SoothingDave!

Status
Not open for further replies.