Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi

I have one week left of my Celta, and the tutors have made it clear that I am lacking in a few areas.

One of the biggest is clarification of meaning and form. From filling in my language analysis sheets through to checking meaning in lessons.

I find it hard to envisage what problems might come up.

Two examples (any ideas appreciated!);
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I hadn’t lost my temper - what problems may students have with the form?

Verbs followed by two nouns;

Model sentences:

He gave his boss a present. ( verb + indirect object + direct object)
He gave some earrings to his wife ( verb + direct object + to + indirect object)

Apart from distinguishing between direct and indirect objects, what problems may students have with form and meaning, and how would you clarify this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What sort of things do you write for this? How can I get better at working this stuff out?

Thanks for any input

dakky

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wish I hadn’t lost my temper - what problems may students have with the form?
They may not be aware of the use of the past perfect for past counterfactual ideas (I did
in fact lose my temper

You could check that the students understand the idea - 'Did the speaker lose his temper?' 'Is the speaker happy about this?'
I jumped a stage there. Are you sure that the students actually understand what 'I wish' and 'lose one's temper' mean?

dakky

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I jumped a stage there. Are you sure that the students actually understand what 'I wish' and 'lose one's temper' mean?

Ok well that example is from an assignment where the question is "Potential problems and solutions: What problems might students have with the form? What might students say? What could you write on the board to prevent this?"

There is already a section on CCQs/timeline etc

The other examples are from my lesson planning...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you thought of any incorrect forms students might use instead of the past perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.