Can a native catch the sense of this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can a native speaker catch the sense and the meaning of this sentence?

- Ester has a very high opinion of herself, but she is an unpleasant girl and she is going to find herself alone sooner or later.

1) Could you suggest me another way to say: "she has a very high opinion of herself"? Is there a phrasal verb I can use to state that a person is not humble at all, like in this case?

2) "she is going to find herself alone": is that the only form of future we can use in this context?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
1. You could say she is "stuck up." That's informal.

Stuck-up | Define Stuck-up at Dictionary.com

2. You could say "she will find herself..."

1) Does "stuck-up" refer to a person who always looks down on people because he/she thinks she is superior? Maybe is it a synonym of "snobbish"?

2) Do you think there's a different meaning if we use "will" instead of "to be going to"? or do they mean the same?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) Does "stuck-up" refer to a person who always looks down on people because he/she thinks she is superior? Maybe is it a synonym of "snobbish"?

2) Do you think there's a different meaning if we use "will" instead of "to be going to"? or do they mean the same?
"Stuck-up" or "snobbish would work if you change "but" to "and" in the original text. Otherwise I don't think there is one word that can replace it. Yes, "will" would be OK instead of "be going to".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "stuck-up" refer to a person who always looks down on people because he/she thinks she is superior? Maybe is it a synonym of "snobbish"?

Did you click on the link I provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.