Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They are talking about the phoenomon of "apports", the production of objects by ghosts, and the professor seems quite agitated, and says "disassociate". The translation goes "I'm so bad and mean", but its dictionary meaning is "to disconnect yourself from something"
What did he mean by "disassociate"?

g.w 2-4
[FONT=&#44404]professor- I know you're talking about apports! Why are you yelling?!
Mel- I'm not yelling.
professor- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I'm yelling, right?! I make that mistake.[FONT=&#44404]I'm sorry[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I tend to disassociate.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404][FONT=&#44404]Mel-That's an understatement.
professor - Wh-what do you want?

[/FONT][/FONT]​

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They are talking about the phoenomon of "apports", the production of objects by ghosts, and the professor seems quite agitated, and says "disassociate". The translation goes "I'm so bad and mean", but its dictionary meaning is "to disconnect yourself from something"

g.w 2-4

[FONT=&#44404]professor- I know you're talking about apports! Why are you yelling?![/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- I'm not yelling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]professor- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I'm yelling, right?! I make that mistake.[FONT=&#44404]I'm sorry[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I tend to disassociate.[/FONT]​

[FONT=&#44404][FONT=&#44404]Mel-That's an understatement.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&#44404]
[FONT=&#44404]professor - Wh-what do you want?[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
Maybe it's quite hard to understand....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Maybe it's quite hard to understand....
Maybe people are getting bored with explaining things from 'Ghost Whisperer' that are of no relevance to the average learner of English.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe people are getting bored with explaining things from 'Ghost Whisperer' that are of no relevance to the average learner of English.

Actually, I really don't have the strict criteria to judge if the expressions I quoted in "Ghost Whisperer" are widely and commonly used ones in America or UK, I might have focused too much on drama-specific or author-specific terms. If you feel some expressions are not real life ones, I'd better stop asking about them, so please let me know if you see some things that are not useful. :lol::lol::lol:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Most of them! ;-)

That is perhaps a little harsh, but I, personally, have not been inspired to participate in many of your 'Ghost Whisperer' threads because:

1. I often have no idea what the characters are talking about.
2, Even when I do understand, it is so ghost-specific that I see no relevance to anybody but fans of the film/series/whatever. (You may have guessed by now that I have never seen it. Actually, before you started with your questions, I had not heard of it.)

Please do not let my grumpiness stop you posting questions. I just happened to pop into this thread because I thought it might be about whether disassociate or dissociate was the preferred term. Now that is an interesting topic :roll:.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

g.w 2-4
[FONT=&#44404]professor- I know you're talking about apports! Why are you yelling?!
Mel- I'm not yelling.
professor- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I'm yelling, right?! I make that mistake.[FONT=&#44404]I'm sorry[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I tend to disassociate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404][FONT=&#44404]Mel-That's an understatement.
professor - Wh-what do you want?

[/FONT][/FONT]​
I really don't think "I tend to disassociate" means

I'm so bad and mean.

This seems to be a translation issue. It happens very often in movies.

I do not know what "disassociate" means here exactly either. It seems to be some kind of psychic talk -- I have no knowledge of this whatsoever. But I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with being mean,

Status
Not open for further replies.