Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, I'm from Brazil, and I'm working hard on my accent, so I want to speak as close as possible to the american accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=UfD5p7HOXOY&feature=channel_video_title

that's my last video speaking english.
Please, send me the tips, so I will keep working and post new videos.
Thanks, God Bless America!

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I think it's good.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
You say that you want to "speak as close as possible to the american accent." Let me first say that there is no single American accent. The US, like Brazil, is a very large country and, like Brazil, has many different regional accents. Why are you so concerned about speaking like an American? It is much more important that you have good grammar and vocabulary; these will enable you to communicate well. From your brief video, I would say that you have already reached a good level of English. Keep working on it and don't worry too much about your accent.

Note that in English we capitalize names of languages, nationalities,etc. (English language, American accent.) Also, use an adverb to modify a verb ("speak as closely as possible...")

Last edited:

cemelie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Australia
Hi, I'm from Brazil, and I'm working hard on my accent, so I want to speak as close as possible to the american accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=UfD5p7HOXOY&feature=channel_video_title

that's my last video speaking english.
Please, send me the tips, so I will keep working and post new videos.
Thanks, God Bless America!

I am usually a silent forum goer. This time round, i feel the need to voice out.
I find it weird that so many people wants to learn the american accent, even to the extend of mimicking the exact american pronunciation and faking it when speaking the language. Wonder if it's because of the hollywood media effects? :shock:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why not? People have to acquire some sort of accent. If the learner successfully speaks like that, it's not so much a case of faking it as the opposite. You don't have to go for a single variant- plenty go for a less regionally marked international English, but I can't see anything wrong in aspiring to speak with an AmE accent or any other if the person wants to. They can equally keep an accent influenced by their first language- comprehensibility is the primary goal.

lucaskent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Nice accent. I listened to your video and it sounds really good. Im also like you. Im from India and im also very particular about my accent. I also want my english to sound like americans so that if someone hears me talking they wont be able to figure out whether im an american or from other country. I have been practicing at Englishyappr to learn and improve my skills helped a lot. Now came here to practice and learn some more. :)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Iohanan, you palatalize your tees where most Americans don't. "To" is pronounced [tu], not [tʃu].

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I am usually a silent forum goer. This time round, i feel the need to voice out.
I find it weird that so many people wants to learn the american accent, even to the extend of mimicking the exact american pronunciation and faking it when speaking the language. Wonder if it's because of the hollywood media effects? :shock:

What accent should they learn then?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What accent should they learn then?
I think that cemelie, given that s/he's living in Australia, is possibly referring to Asian students, or others, in Australia trying to speak American. I have also noticed this, and think that it's not only weird, but also harder to understand. I imagine it would sound strange for an Asian student to cultivate an Australian accent while living in the US.

Naturally, someone learning English in Brazil doesn't have this problem, and should practice whatever accent is most useful to them - just as, say, a North American learning Spanish would in most cases adopt a Mexican, rather than an Argentinian accent.

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Iohanan, you palatalize your tees where most Americans don't. "To" is pronounced [tu], not [tʃu].

This is an interesting point. Can anybody provide some examples contrasting palatalized vs plain T's?

What about aspiration?, such as in [p] at the beginning of a word like pin. Is the [t] in "To" aspirated?.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is an interesting point. Can anybody provide some examples contrasting palatalized vs plain T's?

[ˈkwɛsʧən]
[ˈkwɛstjən]
What about aspiration?, such as in [p] at the beginning of a word like pin. Is the [t] in "To" aspirated?.
Yes.

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
Not bad at all.....I love to listen to the accent my Texan colleague at work has:):):)!!!!!....they call it the Southern U.S. "twang":):)

Status
Not open for further replies.