Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I found it, without any explanation, in several places before I found that review. I imagine that Mehrgan came across it somewhere, and was unable to track it down.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I found it, without any explanation, in several places before I found that review. I imagine that Mehrgan came across it somewhere, and was unable to track it down.

Thank you a lot dear fivejedjon. Indeed, I heard it in one of 'My Family' episodes, and tried to find its definition in some pages, but there wasn't any definition. They had all been used in some other context. However, as I'm sort of familiar with the page rules, I always try to find the answer before I put up the question and put you in trouble.

Once again, many thanks to all respectable posters who patiently reply to our posts. :)

Cheers!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Fair enough, Mehrgan.

Sorry.

:oops:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Fair enough, Mehrgan.

Sorry.

:oops:

Oh, dear Rover_KE! I just explained to ensure you that we don't mean to take advantage of this site. Me, and those like me, have learnt quite a lot of interesting things from you all!

Wish you great moments, and thanks for the helpful posts! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BTW Blimey or gorblimey are supposed to come from God blind me - God blind me if I am telling the truth, though they have lost the religious connotation. I don't hear it used much now.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Me, and those like me, have learnt quite a lot of interesting things from you all!
Now that's an interesting sentence. It is clearly grammatically incorrect, as Mehrgan will instantly realise now that I have pointed it out - the subject form should be 'I'. However, I think that with the intervening 'and those like me', very few people would notice this, especially in speech. The lapse is also, I think, partly masked by the fact that the 'me' in 'like me' is correct. It is perhaps further masked by the correctness of the similar People/Those like me have learnt a lot.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Now that's an interesting sentence. It is clearly grammatically incorrect, as Mehrgan will instantly realise now that I have pointed it out - the subject form should be 'I'. However, I think that with the intervening 'and those like me', very few people would notice this, especially in speech. The lapse is also, I think, partly masked by the fact that the 'me' in 'like me' is correct. It is perhaps further masked by the correctness of the similar People/Those like me have learnt a lot.

So sorry, and thanks for the correction! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So sorry, and thanks for the correction! :)
Don't apologise! I am normally a bit of a stickler for this, but I can imagine myself saying that sentence. The mind jumps ahead to the final 'me'. It's a case of the grammar getting 'derailed'.

( I have liked the idea of grammar being 'derailed' ever since BobK used the verb in this thread: I'm scared he'd deny it)

Last edited:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Don't apologise! I am normally a bit of a stickler for this, but I can imagine myself saying that sentence. The mind jumps ahead to the final 'me'. It's a case of the grammar getting 'derailed'.

( I have liked the idea of grammar being 'derailed' ever since BobK used the verb in this thread: I'm scared he'd deny it)

What a nice 'key word'! You've made my day now! Have to go and search about it then! Ta! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.