Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    comprehension

    No.1
    Animals are hardwired to greet each other.
    having permanent electronic circuits and connections
    ▪ a hardwired network — often used figuratively ▪ Humans are hardwired for speech. = Speech is hardwired in/into the human brain. ▪ Mothers are hardwired to protect their children.
    Does my sentence mean “Animals forever greet each other”?

    No.2

    The quoted sentences are from a reading passage:

    "This year’s observance of the National Day of the American Cowboy falls on July 22".

    According to Collins fall can mean “to occur at a specified time, Christmas falls on a Sunday”,
    So it should mean “each July 22 is the National Day of the American Cowboy”. But since there is “this year” in the first sentence I think it should mean it falls on different day each year. Is that right?

    However, there is another sentence:
    “I am proud that July 22nd is the National Day of the Cowboy” which makes me think the Day is set.
    Could you please explain that?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #2

    Re: comprehension

    1 It means that when animals meet, they greet- without thinking about it or deciding anything.

    2 Falls suggests the possibility of the day or date changing to me. Christmas can fall on a Monday, but I would not say that it falls on the 25th December.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #3

    Re: comprehension

    Dear Tdol,

    As far as I understand you you mean the sentence should be " This year's ovservance of the National Day of the American Cowboy falls on Monday (or Sunday)" instead of "...on July 22" like that in the text. Is that right?

    Jiang


    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    1 It means that when animals meet, they greet- without thinking about it or deciding anything.

    2 Falls suggests the possibility of the day or date changing to me. Christmas can fall on a Monday, but I would not say that it falls on the 25th December.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #4

    Re: comprehension

    Yes, unless the date changes- the two sentences you quote, give different messages about whether the date is fixed or no, and from the website, I couldn't work out which was correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: comprehension

    Dear Tdol,


    May I say they do not celebrate it on July 22 every year? I mean they celebrate it, for example, on the third week Saturday of July, which means it might be July 22 one year and July the 23 next year.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Yes, unless the date changes- the two sentences you quote, give different messages about whether the date is fixed or no, and from the website, I couldn't work out which was correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #6

    Re: comprehension

    From the text you have provided, I would say it's likely, but the second sentence does raise a small doubt. The only way to check it would be to move outside these sentences and check the facts.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #7

    Re: comprehension

    Dear Tdol,

    Thank you very much for your help.
    I have surfed the website given by riquecohen. It reads the day is on the fourth Saturday in July. So you are right. It is not a fix date.I have shared it.

    Jiang




    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    From the text you have provided, I would say it's likely, but the second sentence does raise a small doubt. The only way to check it would be to move outside these sentences and check the facts.

Similar Threads

  1. comprehension
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2006, 14:26
  2. Comprehension
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2006, 03:50
  3. consider and comprehension
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2006, 09:43
  4. Comprehension etc.
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2006, 14:12
  5. comprehension
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2005, 12:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •