• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Unhappy How to handling new words and old words

Hello,I am a ESL learner,recently I joined a class ran by EF,it's a adult taking show coure,on the class,when I chat with my teacher,I often forgot some words, when I want to express something the words ran away and I can not find a proper word to express it. I find it is a little bit hard to express myself natrually.
    Any advice about improving English words naturally and effectively?

Tanks a lot~

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to handling new words and old words

Quote Originally Posted by waterborne View Post
    Hello, I am a ESL learner. Recently I joined a class ran run by EF. It's a adult taking show coure, (I don't know what you are trying to say there.)

In the class, when I chat with my teacher, I often forget some words. When I want to express something the words run away and I can not cannot find a proper word to express it. I find it is a little bit hard to express myself naturally.

Do you have any advice about improving English words naturally and effectively?

Thanks a lot~
    PRACTICE! Really, it's the most important thing you can do. Talk as much as possible. Talk to yourself. Talk in the car, on the bus, in the shower, at home alone. Listen to English radio, watch English TV. Don't study the TV or films. Simply have an English-speaking channel on all the time at home.

Also, don't panic. If you reach a point in a sentence where you can't think of the right word, try thinking of a different one. Forget the word and just try explaining what you mean using different words. You will be amazed at how many words you actually know.

Hopefully your teacher realises the importance of getting students to speak out loud and doesn't worry too much about correcting every tiny mistake. Encouraging you to talk at all is the important thing.

Please also look at the amendments I made to your post. Be careful with punctuation. You must put a space after a comma. Your sentences are very long so read your post back to yourself before you submit it. Make sure there are breaks in natural places - those are the places for either a comma or a full stop.

There was one part of your post I couldn't understand - what does "it's a adult taking show coure" mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Also, talk around the word you don't know to get to person to supply it:

A: I don't know the word - it's not happy - but when something good is going to happen, you feel...
    B: Excited?
    A: yes, excited...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

A great anwser. Thanks a lot, emsr2d2. It seems that I made lots of mistakes in my thread. Thank you very much for your amendaments. In fact I took part in an adult talking show recently, My teacher's name is Fraser who came from British, Scotland. You know he is a very active man, his lessons are vivid and interesting. There are lots of laugh in his class.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by waterborne View Post
    A great answer. Thanks a lot, emsr2d2. It seems that I made lots of mistakes in my thread. Thank you very much for your amendaments. In fact I took part in an adult talking show recently. My teacher's name is Fraser who came comes from BritishBritain - Scotland. You know He is a very active man, his lessons are vivid and interesting. There are lots of laughs in his class.
    I'm glad that you have a fun, interesting teacher. There were a lot of Scottish teachers when I worked in Madrid and their classes were always fun!

The most important thing, as we said, is not to panic. Don't worry if you can't think of a word. It happens to everybody - even in their native language! Tdol's suggestion was great - talk about other words that are similar or try to describe what you're trying to say and you will either remember the word or the listener will realise and give you the word.