Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Regarding the whine/wine merger but without getting too fussy about details and history nor trying to be hypercorrect, am I wrong if I use the unvoiced w (whispered h) before words like:

what
when
whine
whale

Also, not exactly related, can you show me some words where the h is silent in English, like:

hour
honest
honor
heir
herb

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Regarding the whine/wine merger but without getting too fussy about details and history nor trying to be hypercorrect, am I wrong if I use the unvoiced w (whispered h) before words like:

what
when
whine
whale

Some people use the whispered "wh" and some use the voiced "w". I personally find that a very obvious whispered "wh" sounds somewhat old-fashioned, verging on pretentious.

Also, not exactly related, can you show me some words where the h is silent in English, like:

hour
honest
honor
heir
herb

Try Googling for more lists of words starting with a silent "h".
Note: in BrE, we always pronounce the "h" at the beginning of "herb". In AmE, it sounds like "erb".

See above.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I find that if I am delivering a prepared talk, the 'whispered h' of my youth comes back, but generally I agree with emsr2d2's opinion - for English people. The form is natural for many Scottish and Irish people.

If you have been taught to use it, and it comes naturally, don't worry, but I would generally recommend that learners use a standard /w/

Status
Not open for further replies.