Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

I'm often confused with a sentence that have commas in between.

I've rephrased one of the Catholic prayers "Act of Resignation", and I'd be grateful
if you would correct me my understanding.

Original:
My Lord God, even now I accept at Thy hands cheerfully and willingly, with all of its
anxieties, pains and sufferings. Whatever death it shall please Thee to be mine.

Reprased:
My Lord God, even I'm in a situation of facing with death, I'll be glad to accept your
intention and death no matter how it fills with lots of anxieties, pains and sufferings.

Thank you,
Tara

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your original prayer is not correctly punctuated. It should be:
:
My Lord God, even now I accept at Thy hands cheerfully and willingly, with all of its
anxieties, pains and sufferings, whatever death it shall please Thee to be mine.

The meaning becomes slightly clear if we present it thus:
:
My Lord God, even now I cheerfully and willingly accept at Thy hands whatever death (with all of its anxieties, pains and suffering) it shall please Thee to be mine.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Note that this use of 'resignation' - which doesn't, as it often does, mean 'giving up an official position'. This sort of resignation involves being resigned to one's fate - accepting that it will happen.

b

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Your original prayer is not correctly punctuated. It should be:
:
anxieties, pains and sufferings, whatever death it shall please Thee to be mine.

The meaning becomes slightly clear if we present it thus:
:
My Lord God, even now I cheerfully and willingly accept at Thy hands whatever death (with all of its anxieties, pains and suffering) it shall please Thee to be mine.

Hello fivejedjon,

Thank you very much for your kind explanation.
By changing word order as your sentence becomes much clearer and easier to understand.:)

Thank you and best regards,
Tara

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
:up: Note that this use of 'resignation' - which doesn't, as it often does, mean 'giving up an official position'. This sort of resignation involves being resigned to one's fate - accepting that it will happen.

b

Hello BobK,

Yes, I wondered why it's called "Resignation" when a person is about to die.
I'm so happy to know the reason.
Thank you very much for your kind and lucid interpretation.:)

Thank you ane best regards,
Tara

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Tara, you're welcome. ;-) As an inquisitive child being brought up in a family of practising Catholics, I am aware of the starngeness of of many words used in this area. My son - who was not - recently asked 'What do Catholics assume at the Feast of the Assumption?' (They don't assume anything - it's a special use of 'Assumption', that students needn't worry about [no really, you don't; it's about a particular religious belief about Mary not dying at the end of her mortal life... Don't ask ;-)])

b

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks Tara, you're welcome. ;-) As an inquisitive child being brought up in a family of practising Catholics, I am aware of the starngeness of of many words used in this area. My son - who was not - recently asked 'What do Catholics assume at the Feast of the Assumption?' (They don't assume anything - it's a special use of 'Assumption', that students needn't worry about [no really, you don't; it's about a particular religious belief about Mary not dying at the end of her mortal life... Don't ask ;-)])

b

Hello BobK,

Thank you very much for giving me a chance to learn these vocabularies from Catholics. I think it will be a great tip for understanding when I read novels or poems that use religious words and phrases.

Thank you:)
Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.