• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Unable to understand the meaning and grammar

Hi Teacher,

Someone wrote the following line, when i was chatting,

"i pray that you soon get all that you deserve and hope you take care that you deserve only all that is good".

I was not able to make out the last line, the one starting with - "and hope you take care ....", Could you kindly explain the meaning of the above line, if you could also provide me with a grammatical explanation of what tallies with what, subject, object, verb etc, that would be even more helpful.Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Tarkshya

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Unable to understand the meaning and grammar

Quote Originally Posted by tarkshya View Post
    Hi Teacher,

Someone wrote the following line, when i was chatting,

"i pray that you soon get all that you deserve and hope you take care that you deserve only all that is good".

I was not able to make out the last line, the one starting with - "and hope you take care ....", Could you kindly explain the meaning of the above line, if you could also provide me with a grammatical explanation of what tallies with what, subject, object, verb etc, that would be even more helpful.Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Tarkshya
    Is this clearer?

I pray that you soon get all that you deserve and I hope you take care that you deserve only all that is good.

Note the word "I" interjected between "and" and "hope". The speaker says two things:

1. I pray that that you get what you deserve.
    2. I hope that you behave in a way that will make you deserve only good things.

If the addressee were to behave badly, they would deserve bad things. Then the speaker's prayers would work against the addressee.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Yeah, thats much clearer, thanks for the information, also could you kindly tell me the construction of this line.

I hope you take care that you deserve only all that is good.

My confusion arises from the fact that the line says "you take care that you deserve only all that is good"

the use of the word "that" between "i hope you take care" and "you deserve only all that is good" is causing confusion, could you clarify more, like how to use that "that" to connect these two sub-lines, which i have mentioned, is such a usage, proper english, i mean grammatically correct ? Isnt the use of "so that" instead of "that" more proper or am i understanding it completely wrong?

Regards
    Tarkshya

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by tarkshya View Post
    Yeah, thats much clearer, thanks for the information, also could you kindly tell me the construction of this line.

I hope you take care that you deserve only all that is good.

My confusion arises from the fact that the line says "you take care that you deserve only all that is good"

the use of the word "that" between "i hope you take care" and "you deserve only all that is good" is causing confusion, could you clarify more, like how to use that "that" to connect these two sub-lines, which i have mentioned, is such a usage, proper english, i mean grammatically correct ? Isnt the use of "so that" instead of "that" more proper or am i understanding it completely wrong?

Regards
    Tarkshya
    "So that" would be strange there in my opinion. But please wait for someone else's. I don't have to be right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

As BC said in post #2, I hope that you behave in a way that... is another way of expressing I hope you take care that ...

'So that' is not appropriate in those sentences. It would be in this: I hope you behave well, so that...

ps. please use a capital letter for 'I', the first person pronoun.