Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello.

I'm learning the american song "Kicking mule" that is said to have many meanings.
Context of the song: the story takes place in a picnic, there is a kickin' mule, etc.

Exerpt
Biscuits in the oven was a baking
Was a beefsteak fryin' in the pan
Pretty girl settin' in the parlor
Lord God Amighty what a hand I stand!

1- I don't understand what the pretty gril is doing. Nonsense ?
2- I don't understand "What a hand I stand"

TYA
--
michel marcon (aka cmic) banjo player and ..singer

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 She is sitting not setting according to this version, though it could simply be an alternative spelling of sitting. Kickin' Mule | Bluegrass Lyrics
2 A hand is a set of cards- I think the person has a difficult hand (is in a difficult situation) because he has all these good things nearby, but he doesn't even have time too kiss the girl because of the trouble the mule is causing.

cmic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello

1 She is sitting not setting according to this version, though it could simply be an alternative spelling of sitting. (cf link)

OK I get it. May the this version (of Art Rosenbaum, an American banjoist) is bit distorted.

2 A hand is a set of cards- I think the person has a difficult hand (is in a difficult situation) because he has all these good things nearby, but he doesn't even have time too kiss the girl because of the trouble the mule is causing.

Whoa ! Great. Someone told me this song had a "double meaning". Your explanation comes in, and every thing is clear now. (I laugh)

Thanks ever so much.
--
michel marcon

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Setting is used in some regions instead of sitting, so Art Rosenbaum could be right- these songs were written down later, and different people could transcribe things differently, but whatever the spelling, it means sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.