Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
(context: The following is what happened after the previous context. He wen to Hemingway and said "the young lady at the bar table and I would lkie you to join us for a drink, if you have time. Hemingway said"I've got another phone call to make, and then I'll joun you." The following is what happened after Hemingway joined them)

Hemingway told us he was going down to Spain for the bullfights. He said he had fully recovered from injuries suffered when his small plane has crashed in the African jungle a few months before. He asked me what kind of car I drove, and when I told him I had a Triumph TR-2---a big engine for a small chassis--he remaked,"Get us the manifold pressure in one of those and you can really roll."
They chatted for a few moments. Then he looked at his watch and said, "I'd like to stay longer, but I've got a dinner date. Nice talking to you."
(When the young man wanted to pay for the drinks the waiter said Mr. hemingway had paid for them.)

Which of the following is NOT true with Hemingway according to the passage?

a. Hemingway was too busy to find time to talk to common people. (F. He talked with the two young people)
b. He was polite and considrate. (True. He talked with them and paid for the drinks.)
c. Hemingway was injured a few months before. (True. In the air crash.)
d. Hemingway thought people needed pressure in life.

Since there is only one correct answer, I consider this true. But I can find the clue to it. Could you please kindly explain that to me?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you transcribed this accurately? There are several small textual error - which I'm afraid I don't have time now to correct. A notable one is 'Which of the following is NOT true with Hemingway'. It should be of. I suspect the 'right' answer is a, though it's not a good question; d is true, but the passage doesn't show it (although the references to bull-fighting and fast cars suggest it).

Incidentally, your use of the word 'can' rather than 'can't' suggests to me that you are aiming for an American English accent - which is not to say that speakers of Am E usually make this mistake! But Am E uses the same vowel in both, whereas in Br Eng we use different vowel-sounds (and the vowel-sound is, I imagine, the main thing that listeners listen for).

b

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear BobK,

Thank you so much for your help. The following is the answers to your questions:

No.1
I transcribed this accurately. “with” is the very word used in the textbook. My problem is with "d". I can't find the evidence in the passage that shows Hemingway thought people needed pressure in life. Or as you said can I say "bull-fighting and fast cars suggest it"?

No.2
As to the use of "can" do you mean my sentence "Since there is only one correct answer, I consider this true. But I can find the clue to it".
I am terribly sorry about that. It should be "I can't find the evidence" . What I meant was since "a" is definitely not true and since there should be only one correct answer I assume "d" is true. But I can't find the evidence.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Have you transcribed this accurately? There are several small textual error - which I'm afraid I don't have time now to correct. A notable one is 'Which of the following is NOT true with Hemingway'. It should be of. I suspect the 'right' answer is a, though it's not a good question; d is true, but the passage doesn't show it (although the references to bull-fighting and fast cars suggest it).

Incidentally, your use of the word 'can' rather than 'can't' suggests to me that you are aiming for an American English accent - which is not to say that speakers of Am E usually make this mistake! But Am E uses the same vowel in both, whereas in Br Eng we use different vowel-sounds (and the vowel-sound is, I imagine, the main thing that listeners listen for).

b

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
As a NES, but not a teacher:

I believe the intended "correct" answer is "d", on the basis that:

a) Hemingway made an excuse not to join them immediately and, after a brief chat, gave an excuse to leave.

b) and c) are definitely true

That only leaves d) - which can't specifically be directly inferred from the passage.

Hope this helps
R21

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Route21,

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I get a little bit confused.
a) means Hemingway was so busy that he was not able to find time to talk to common people. Is that right? If it is then it should be false because he did talk to the young people. Or do you mean the fact that he made an excuse not to join them immediately and, after a brief chat, gave an excuse to leave shows he did not have time to talk to common people? Could you please explain that?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

a) Hemingway made an excuse not to join them immediately and, after a brief chat, gave an excuse to leave.

That only leaves d) - which can't specifically be directly inferred from the passage.

Hope this helps
R21

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Hope this helps
R21

Depends what you regard as impolite. It seems to me quite reasonable to finish a call (or start one, if necessary) before joining a conversation, and then to bow out if you've got a dinner date. I still prefer a to d, but a case can be made for or against either - which is why I think it's a bad question. ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I too think the intended answer is supposed to be A. But D is truly a mystery!

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear BobK,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see why it is a bad question. This type of bad questions trouble me too much in that I begin to doubt my English level.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

Depends what you regard as impolite. It seems to me quite reasonable to finish a call (or start one, if necessary) before joining a conversation, and then to bow out if you've got a dinner date. I still prefer a to d, but a case can be made for or against either - which is why I think it's a bad question. ;-)

b

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Barb_D,

Thank you very much for your help. This type of choices trouble me too much.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
I too think the intended answer is supposed to be A. But D is truly a mystery!

Status
Not open for further replies.