Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you aware of any website or any CD or DVD to improve pronunciation, to understand sound of Vowels , things related to phonetic, IPA. I have that L.T.S.E Cd but it is not sufficient, I am teacher here in India. I just want to teach basic for pronunciation.

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes checked it but it is kinda rocket science for me. Plz I would be so thankful to you. If you can tell me how to learn this IPA table . Below is the link
ww.stuff.co.uk/calcul_nd.htm

I desperately want to learn this thing.. Thanks very much .. May God bless u..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
www.stuff.co.uk/calcul_nd.htm
That link gives you the symbols and the sounds, and links to practice exercises. What else are you looking for?

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Links are very useful but I think it would be quite hard to understand them by own. Rather I found this website very useful.. w ww.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html

If you please do me a favor and open the website, you will see words like STOP, FRICATIVE.. etc. What does this mean ? You helped me a lot . Now I just want to know what do they imply ? Thanks for making my day... :) Love u

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you please do me a favor and open the website, you will see words like STOP, FRICATIVE.. etc. What does this mean ?
If you click on those words in that site, you will see an explanation, and also be able to hear some examples.

If you want to learn IPA symbols, you are going to have to do some things for yourself; nobody is going to spoon-feed them into you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As an English teacher, as your profile states, I am sure you are aware of the importance of using correct written English at all times. On that basis, please see the amendments I have made below to your three posts:

1. Are you aware of any websites or any CDs or DVDs to improve pronunciation, to understand the sound of vowels, and things related to phonetics, IPA? I have that L.T.S.E CD but it is not sufficient. I am a teacher here in India. I just want to teach basic [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] pronunciation.

2. Yes, I have checked [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE]that but it is [STRIKE]kinda rocket science[/STRIKE] rather complicated for me. [STRIKE]Plz[/STRIKE] Please, I would be so thankful to you if you [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could tell me how to learn this IPA table. Below is the link
ww.stuff.co.uk/calcul_nd.htm

I desperately want to learn this [STRIKE]thing[/STRIKE]. Thanks very much. [STRIKE]May God bless u.. [/STRIKE]

3. Links are very useful but I think it would be quite hard to understand them [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] on my own. [STRIKE]Rather [/STRIKE]I found this website very useful: w ww.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html

[STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] Would you please do me a favor and open the website? You will see words like STOP, FRICATIVE etc. What [STRIKE]does this[/STRIKE] do these mean? You helped me a lot. Now I just want to know what [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] they imply. Thanks [STRIKE]f[/STRIKE][STRIKE]or making my day... :)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Love u [/STRIKE]

Please remember that we do not put a space before a comma, a full stop or a question mark, only after.
Certain phrases are discouraged, such as "May God bless you", due to the multi-cultural nature of the website. Also "love u" is most definitely not appropriate at the end of your third post.
One full stop is sufficient unless you are correctly using an ellipsis (which was not necessary in any of your posts).

It may be that you are only teaching spoken English but even so there were grammatical errors in your posts which, if replicated in your classes, will mean that your students will pick up bad habits.

Thanks for your attention.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Links are very useful but I think it would be quite hard to understand them by own. Rather I found this website very useful.. w ww.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html

If you please do me a favor and open the website, you will see words like STOP, FRICATIVE.. etc. What does this mean ? You helped me a lot . Now I just want to know what do they imply ? Thanks for making my day... :) Love u

Here are some more links. It will require some effort to learn phonetics and the IPA but it is worth it. Read through the pages below and return to them when you need to.

International Phonetic Alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vowel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Consonant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia:IPA for English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On these pages you will find other links. If you want to have a basic knowledge of phonetics, you have to understand terms like

open vowel
front vowel
rounded vowel
cardinal vowel
nasal sound
velar consonant
voiced consonant
fricative consonant
sonorant
lateral vowel
semi-vowel
glide
syllable
primary stress
gemination
schwa
accent
rhotic accent

These are just some of the terms you need to know to be able to read about phonetics. It may look frightening but it's just words. You learn new words all the time, why not these?

When you are familiar with these terms, you will be able to use other Wikipedia pages like this for example:

Bilabial nasal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bilabial nasal consonant is the term for the sound you know very well. It's the first sound of the word "me". Its IPA symbol is /m/.

I wish you lots of good luck and lots of perseverance.

Status
Not open for further replies.