• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Newspaers section title

Dear Native speakers,

What is title of the section in the newspapers that deals with murders, killings, accidents, theft, etc.?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Newspaers section title

Quote Originally Posted by mehdihas View Post
    Dear Native speakers,

What is title of the section in the newspapers that deals with murders, killings, accidents, theft, etc.?

Thanks
    I would imagine that "Crime" would be the title of such a section. British newspapers don't divide their stories into these kind of sections though.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the US, such crime reports would be considered "headline stories" and would not be relegated to the various sections of the newspaper that are categorized by name, like "Opinion/Editorial", "Comics", "Classified Ads", "Sports", etc. In some smaller, local newspapers non-violent crimes such as car theft or home burglaries that occur in the area are listed in a specific column called "Police Blotter" or "Crime Watch."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And somewhat off-topic, but the police blotter in newspapers that serve small towns can be really, really funny. Sometimes they are even written in a way to be deliberately funny. But these would not be murders, deadly accidents, or grand theft. It would be things like cows in the middle of the road, or the unauthorized rearrangement of garden gnomes, or maybe a party that was too loud too late at night.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    And somewhat off-topic, but the police blotter in newspapers that serve small towns can be really, really funny. Sometimes they are even written in a way to be deliberately funny. But these would not be murders, deadly accidents, or grand theft. It would be things like cows in the middle of the road, or the unauthorized rearrangement of garden gnomes, or maybe a party that was too loud too late at night.
    Is there an authorised arrangement of garden gnomes?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I myself was involved in "an act of vandalism" in a midnight raid in which we rearranged the (many!) garden gnomes of a friend's neighbor. I don't think she actually called the police, but she did call the neighbors to report that there were vandals in the neighborhood and to lock their doors. I believe the statue of limitations has expired so I feel safe sharing this.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by mehdihas View Post
    Dear Native speakers,

Thanks

ONLY A NON-TEACHER'S OPINION

(1) I LOVE newspapers, so may I contribute to your thread.

(2) You may have heard that print newspapers (on paper) are doing very badly in this country. Many of them feel that they can survive only by going online.

(3) I live in one of the biggest cities in the United States. Like most American cities, there is now only one daily newspaper.

(4) American newspapers are traditionally huge in size. For example, today my newspaper has 90 broadsheet (regular-sized, NOT tabloid) pages. The paper consists of various separate sections. The first section is called the A section. Important crimes and accidents often appear in this section, often on page 1. This section contains international news and national news (including two stories today on serious crimes); then there is a section that is usually called in many other cities "Metro." That is, "metropolitan." It contains news about the city and about the little cities that surround it. This section also frequently contains crime news and accidents. For example, today there is a big story about a doctor who is on trial because the government says that he did not give good care to a famous singer.

(5) As Moderator Quisch said, crimes and accidents are reported anywhere in the paper. For example, I have just picked up the sports section, and one of the stories on the front page of the sports section is about a crime. (You may have heard that some American professional athletes are regularly accused of serious crimes in their personal lives.)
    Last edited by TheParser; 21-Oct-2011 at 21:05.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm giggling even more now as I think about a "statue of limitations." Gosh, my typos crack me up sometimes.