[Grammar] What's wrong with this sentence and what does passive voice exactly mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmurillo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
I've written the following sentence in MS Word

"There is one directory per client, thus nine additional directories were created"

Now MS Word states that the words "were created" are incorrect as it detects it as "Passive voice" and suggest that I reverse them, but what exactly does it mean by that?

This is one grammar error, I guess one can call it like that, that always drives me nuts and I've been unable to get a good understanding on what exactly does it mean.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've written the following sentence in MS Word

"There is one directory per client, thus nine additional directories were created"

Now MS Word states that the words "were created" are incorrect as it detects it as "Passive voice" and suggest that I reverse them, but what exactly does it mean by that?

This is one grammar error, I guess one can call it like that, that always drives me nuts and I've been unable to get a good understanding on what exactly does it mean.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

I'm not sure why or under what circumstance MS Word would identify the statement as "incorrect". I see no problem with the statement as presented. Actually, I wrote the same statement in Word and got no indication such as what you indicated.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, the comma splice makes it incorrect.

Word tries to encourage the active voice by pointing out the passive, but there is nothing inherently incorrect about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.