Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
In BrE, what's the difference between cordial and squash understood as fruit juices/syrups you dilute with water before you drink them?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
A cordial is an alcoholic beverage. Squash is not.

John

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
A cordial is an alcoholic beverage. Squash is not.

John

As far as I know a cordial doesn't have to be/ isn't an alcoholic drink in BrE?

Seriah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
UK
Cordial definitely isn't alcoholic! I was given it loads as a child! Alcoholic cordials are liqueurs.

In my experience squash and cordial refer to the same thing.... concentrated fruit syrup that you add water to. Cordial is just a slightly posher word for it. If I was in a high-end supermarket I would expect to find cordial. I think cordial is sometimes made without fruit e.g. ginger or mint but squash is always fruity? That is just speculation though.

In the north of England people also call squash/cordial 'juice' which can get so confusing!

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Sorry everyone - my bad. I took my definition from the American Oxford Dictionary.
Here's the definition from the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language.

• British a sweet fruit-flavoured drink: wine cups and fruit cordials[mass noun] :a tall glass of blackcurrant cordial
  • North American another term for liqueur

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry everyone - my bad. I took my definition from the American Oxford Dictionary.
Here's the definition from the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language.

• British a sweet fruit-flavoured drink: wine cups and fruit cordials[mass noun] :a tall glass of blackcurrant cordial
  • North American another term for liqueur
"my bad"?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'My bad' = 'my mistake.'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is this idiom unknown in the UK, bhaisahab?
It's unknown to me, though I have to admit that I no longer reside in the UK.

One of the many good things about this site is that we can all learn, all of the time.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think cordial is sometimes made without fruit e.g. ginger or mint but squash is always fruity? That is just speculation though.

Not necessarily- we do refer to lime cordial. I think squash is always fruity, but not all fruity ones are squash. I wonder whether it's to do with the sweetness, as lime cordial is less sweet.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Not necessarily- we do refer to lime cordial. I think squash is always fruity, but not all fruity ones are squash. I wonder whether it's to do with the sweetness, as lime cordial is less sweet.

Thanks Tdol, can you or aybody else think of which fruity ones you wouldn't call 'squash'?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sharp citrus ones- lemon/lime cordial (lemon squash exists too, but cordial is less sugary IMO)

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"my bad"?

Yes, this expression is widely used by all social strata in the US. It's everywhere in the media (except the American Oxford Dictionary), and I was hesitant to write it but did because it's what you'll hear spoken, often in place of "sorry", "excuse me" and "my mistake".
Our family makes it to the US about 3 times a year and we always find time to spend with friends and family. Over the years, they have told me that my English has "evolved" and while not incorrect, they are sometimes surprised by some of my sentence constructions and my lack of words and expressions that are "new and hip". My sister's children are particularly merciless because mine are bilingual and they are not. They accuse my children speaking Franglais (a mix of French and English and definitely not true) but also "ex-pat English." I've often wondered if that's true, however. Can it be helped or is it to be expected?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We sell a lot of drinks where I work and the majority are described as cordials. The only ones named "squash" are orange, lemon and blackcurrant.

All the others, elderflower, ginger, kombucha, mixed fruit, rhubarb, blackberry, mixed red berries, are cordials. I have never seen those flavours in a squash.

I was under the impression that a cordial was made from a syrup which is then diluted whereas squashes are concentrated fruit juices which you then dilute. I must admit, though, that searches on the net have actually made the difference between the two less clear, rather than more.

P.S. I've been hearing "my bad" for about the last 18 months in the UK, from a variety of people not just the hip, street youth!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, this expression is widely used by all social strata in the US. It's everywhere in the media (except the American Oxford Dictionary), and I was hesitant to write it but did because it's what you'll hear spoken, often in place of "sorry", "excuse me" and "my mistake".
Our family makes it to the US about 3 times a year and we always find time to spend with friends and family. Over the years, they have told me that my English has "evolved" and while not incorrect, they are sometimes surprised by some of my sentence constructions and my lack of words and expressions that are "new and hip". My sister's children are particularly merciless because mine are bilingual and they are not. They accuse my children speaking Franglais (a mix of French and English and definitely not true) but also "ex-pat English." I've often wondered if that's true, however. Can it be helped or is it to be expected?
I've never heard anyone say "my bad", but I've only been back in the UK for a year after over twenty years away, in Ireland, India and France.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"ex-pat English." I've often wondered if that's true, however. Can it be helped or is it to be expected?

Ex-pat English is an interesting idea- it is likely that certain rub off as you live abroad for a long time. I do probably speak a less markedly British English abroad and I use some words that I never used when living in the UK.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
It seems to be very frequently used it America. I like watching American shows and I often hear it.
I've been away too long. I spend about three weeks in NY every year and I've never heard it spoken. I have recently seen a textbook in which it appears in a list of expressions attributed to "Black English."

One of the many good things about this site is that we can all learn, all of the time.
I agree.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm still puzzling over why a squash, which we think of as a vegetable, is a drink. I'm good with "my bad" though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm still puzzling over why a squash, which we think of as a vegetable, is a drink. I'm good with "my bad" though.

I assume it's the fact that the fruit is "squashed" in order to get the juice out, which is then concentrated, has sugar added and then bottled.

In BrE, the only people who would have thought of "squash" as a vegetable were probably people who grew their own food, until a few years ago. "Butternut squash" became available in British supermarkets as a standard probably 5-6 years ago. Before that, we would have bought pumpkins, but probably not known what squash were.

Status
Not open for further replies.