• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Ecuador
      • Current Location:
      • Ecuador

• Post Thanks / Like

Wink Help me

I am an English teacher fron Ibarra-Ecuador I want to know how can I work better in group by levels?
    Also please help me to explain spanish teachers that english is not a subject it's another language.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me

There are several ways to organize the groups. If you're dealing with adults ask them what they would like to do. For example,

A. Have you tried peer support (placing higher level students in amongst a group of lower level students)? Teach the same lesson, but provide different exercises and activities. (Some adult students would jump at the chance to be a mentor/tutor/teacher's aide.)

B. Have you tried grouping the students by level? Lower level students in one group, and higher level in another group. Teach the same lesson, but provide different exercises and activities.

C. Have you tried grouping students according learning style or need? All students, no matter their level, have different strengths and weaknesses.

English Literature, like English Grammar, is a subject; English as a second "language", though, is not. Make that distinction clear to your students. There's a difference between competence and performance. Competence is what we know about language, whereas performance is how we actually use language. One of the best ways to ween students off the notion that English = Grammar is to put them in situations where they have to use language without drawing on a particular grammar point or set dialogue. Rules are important, but not at the expense of freedom of expression. Get the students to use language freely, to say what they want to say in a way that reflects them. That's the first crucial step. Rules come later - fold them in as you go. Correct errors that lead to miscommunication and forgive the rest for the time being. (We need to learn to crawl before we can walk. Teachers, even Spanish teacher, can relate to that.) Get to know your students so that you will be able to know when to correct and when to leave the error for another day. Above all, tell your students what they can expect from you and, most importantly, ask them what they expect of you. Set boundaries.

Good luck