• Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Wish

Hi, this is my first time here !
    I have a problem with the choose of a tense form in the following sentence:

I wish she didn't come back. Or. I wish she wouldn't come back.
    As far as I know both forms may be correct but I cannot quite understand the difference.

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Wish

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro63 View Post
    Hi, this is my first time here !
    I have a problem with the choose of a tense form in the following sentence:

I wish she didn't come back. Or. I wish she wouldn't come back. In your first example, if you are referring to a past action, it would be better to say, "I wish she had not come back". If you are referring to a future possibility of coming back, your first example is not correct but your second example is OK or "I wish she won't come back".

As far as I know both forms may be correct but I cannot quite understand the difference.

Thank you!
    b.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Wishes folllowed by 'that' are expressions of regret for a situation that will, does or did not materialize. The non-materialisation is shown by a backshifting of tenses similar to that in hypothetical conditional sentences.

1. I wish she wouldn't come back
    2. I wish she didn't come back
    3. I wish she hadn't come back.

1. Wishes with 'would' express the speaker's regret that something will (or will not) happen - i.e, in the future and/or that somebody else insists on doing.

2. Wishes with the past simple express the speaker's regret that something does (or does not) happen.

3. Wishes with the past perfect express the speaker's regret that something did (or did not) happen in the past.

4. I wish she won't come back. This is unnatural for most spealers of BrE. If there is any posibility of her coming back, then 'hope' is used.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Wishes folllowed by 'that' are expressions of regret for a situation that will, does or did not materialize. The non-materialisation is shown by a backshifting of tenses similar to that in hypothetical conditional sentences.

1. I wish she wouldn't come back.
    2. I wish she didn't come back
    3. I wish she hadn't come back.

1. Wishes with 'would' express the speaker's regret that something will (or will not) happen - i.e, in the future and/or that somebody else insists on doing.

2. Wishes with the past simple express the speaker's regret that something does (or does not) happen.

3. Wishes with the past perfect express the speaker's regret that something did (or did not) happen in the past.

4. I wish she won't come back. This is unnatural for most spealers of BrE. If there is any posibility of her coming back, then 'hope' is used.
    With regard to #2, I offer (from englishgrammarlessons.com )
    "Notice that the verb tense which follows 'I wish' is 'more in the past' than the tense corresponding to its meaning.
    Where 'will' means a future event, we cannot use 'wish' and must use 'hope' ". So, I would prefer "I hope she doesn't come back."