• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

I can't understand.Help!

Dear teachers!
    I have another question.
    - Folk music and dancing are still popular hobbies.
    A- pastimes
    B- amusements
    C- relaxations
    D- recreations
    The key is A. But why isn't D chosen?
    Acording to OALD:
    pastime=recreation=hobby

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: I can't understand.Help!

Quote Originally Posted by hoangkha View Post
    Dear teachers!
    I have another question.
    - Folk music and dancing are still popular hobbies.
    A- pastimes
    B- amusements
    C- relaxations
    D- recreations
    The key is A. But why isn't D chosen?
    Acording to OALD:
    pastime=recreation=hobby
    Recreation in not usually countable. We can make it countable by using it as an adjective, as in recreational activities.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Recreation in not usually countable. We can make it countable by using it as an adjective, as in recreational activities.
    Thank Mr.Requecohen!
    Quoted from OALD
    recreation (n)
    1 [uncountable] the fact of people doing things for enjoyment, when they are not working
    the need to improve facilities for leisure and recreationthe increasing use of land for recreation
    2 [countable] (British English) a particular activity that somebody does when they are not working.
    Synonym:SynonymShobby, pastime
    His recreations include golf, football and shooting.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Perhaps the person who created the test was American. I've never seen it used in the plural either. And if it's commonly used that way, then it's yet another bad test question!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

For speakers of BrE, all four nouns are possible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'd never use "relaxations" either.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thank you all.
    I am wondering that all of you are teachers and native speakers but why you have conflicting ideas let alone those who aren't native ones.
    Best regards!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I am wondering that all of you are teachers and native speakers but why you have conflicting ideas let alone those who aren't native ones.
    Best regards!
    There are many varieties of English - British, Irish, American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, to name but a few of those that are the first or only language in the countries in which they are spoken, Within these varieties are other varieties; What we loosely call 'British English' includes Scottish and Welsh English as well as the English of England, to say nothing of the many dialects.

Each of these varieties has what we might call a 'standard' version, generally recognised as the form which educated speakers use in moderately formal writing. These standard varieties are very similar indeed to each other, and speakers of one variety generally have no difficulty in understanding speakers of another, though there may be occasional misunderstandings. There may be differences in pronunciation (AmE and Br E 'herb', for example), grammar (modals cannot operate together in English English; they can in some varieties), vocabulary (AmE and BrE 'subway') , usage ('recreation' and 'relaxation' appear not to be countable in AmE, though they can be in BrE), etc.

As the standard varieties of English are very similar, the advice given in this forum is generally applicable to most or all varieties. Sometimes we mention that what we are saying is true of only one variety, Sometimes we don't know - until yesterday, I did not know that 'recreation' and 'relaxation' were always uncountable in AmE.

You can see from our personal details which variety of English each of us uses. Our regular posters include speakers of BrE, AmE and AusE, and speakers of other varieties come in from time to time. This means that you will soon discover if there are any significant differences in usage, and you can decide for yourself which you prefer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thank you all.
    Best regards!
    The same variations occur in every language, hoangkha - including Vietnamese.

Like many other Asian countries, as a result of close ties with China for thousands of years, much of the Vietnamese lexicon relating to science and politics is derived from Chinese. At least 60% of the lexical stock has Chinese roots, not including naturalized word borrowings from China, although many compound words are Sino-Vietnamese, composed of native Vietnamese words combined with Chinese borrowings. One can usually distinguish between a native Vietnamese word and a Chinese borrowing if it can be reduplicated or its meaning does not change when the tone is shifted. As a result of French occupation, Vietnamese has since had many words borrowed from the French language, for example c ph (from French caf). Nowadays, many new words are being added to the language's lexicon due to heavy Western cultural influence; these are usually borrowed from English, for example TV (though usually seen in the written form as tivi). Sometimes these borrowings are calques literally translated into Vietnamese (for example, software is calqued into phần mềm, which literally means "soft part").
    (Wikipedia)

Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 25-Oct-2011 at 09:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Dear Mr.fivejedjon!
    Thanks for your feedback. It really enlightens me.But as you know, Macmillandictionary is of AmE and according to it, RECREATION and RELAXATION are both uncountable and countable.
    RECREATION (n)
    [uncountable] things that you do to enjoy yourself
    [countable] an activity that is done for enjoyment
    RELAXATION (n)
    1-[countable/uncountable]
    A- an activity or situation that makes it possible for you to rest and enjoy yourself
    B-the process of making your body less tight and your mind less worried
    2- [uncountable] the process of making rules, controls, conditions etc more relaxed

From you " This means that you will soon discover if there are any significant differences in usage, and you can decide for yourself which you prefer. "
    I am afraid that we can't do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast