Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello everyone: Imagine you're talking about your last holiday, "Last year I went...." Then you say, "I had decided to go to this place because..." Finally, you return to the present saying, "Now I wonder, if I made the right choice" or, "Now I wonder, if I had made the right choice"?? Which one is correct? And why? Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both had decided and decided are possible. I think that made is more likely than had made.

Intoarut

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

KrissieWordLayer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Spain
While I agree that you could use both, I would say "I had decided" is more grammatically correct because it is an action that happened earlier in the past
I went on holiday - past simple
but I made the decision to go to the place earlier so "I had decided" - past perfect

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
While I agree that you could use both, I would say "I had decided" is more grammatically correct because it is an action that happened earlier in the past
I went on holiday - past simple
but I made the decision to go to the place earlier so "I had decided" - past perfect
I wouldn't call it more grammatically correct. For me, "I decided" would also be better than "I had decided" - and far more commonly used in conversation. There's no reason for the past perfect here at all, since it's obvious that one must decide where to go before one goes there.
They are both grammatically correct, and the simple past is stylistically better and more common in this context.

Intoarut

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Both had decided and decided are possible. I think that made is more likely than had made.

My original (& in my mind, logical) option was:
"I wonder if I made the right decision." & "I wondered if I had made the right decision."
But the past perfect tense is sometimes confusing (in my opinion!) And I thought... why not...
"I wonder (now) if I had made the right choice (before going on holiday = before the past = past perfect)
Does this make sense? :roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But the past perfect tense is sometimes confusing (in my opinion!) And I thought... why not...
"I wonder (now) if I had made the right choice (before going on holiday = before the past = past perfect)
Does this make sense? :roll:
That's fine.

However, as the 'before' makes the sequence of events clear, we can, but do not have to, use the past perfect.

Intoarut

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Status
Not open for further replies.