Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I heard in numerous cases the following syllables pronounced unrecognizably.
In many pronunciation websites, they teach when there's no stress in the underlined vowels, they change to schwa(neutral sound, not ə but the sound as in tomorrow when o sound disappears)

but they seem to pronounce these as "ɪ" or "ʊ", did I mishear them? There might be some difference between AE and BE, and I'm afraid if I can learn correctly through writing explanation not sounds in this website.
ex)Electrical, Eleven, Event

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
LPD gives both /ə and /ɪ/ for eleven, event and electric, but only /ɪ/ for electrical.
The Cambride EPD and the Oxford ALD and COD give only /ɪ/ for all of them.

None gives /ʊ/, which would sound very strange to me. I am an /ɪ/ man.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
LPD gives both /ə and /ɪ/ for eleven, event and electric, but only /ɪ/ for electrical.
The Cambride EPD and the Oxford ALD and COD give only /ɪ/ for all of them.

None gives /ʊ/, which would sound very strange to me. I am an /ɪ/ man.

Okay, I got it, I must have heard either schwa or /ɪ/ for them. Does it have any BE and AE difference? I think not.
And I think you must know the difference /ɪ/ and /i/.and something that bothers me is some e as in "excuse, Engish" sounds like /i/ as in eat[i:t], but some like eleven, event, electric sound /ɪ/ . There seems to be no rule for so many /e/ spelled sounds, or have I heard wrong for either of the two groups? I don't know which to choose to pronouce when I see e spells.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There seems to be no rule for so many /e/ spelled sounds
There is a certain correlation between some letters and sounds. For example, the sound /m/ is normally represented in writing by a single or double letter m, and the letter m normally represents the sound /m/.

However, there is very little correlation between other letters and sounds. Note the pronunciation of the letter e in: pet, pert, pretty, Peter, there, clerk, agent, collapse,

and in combination with other letters: break, beak, bread, idea, heart, bear; tee, beer; veil, neice, height, weight, heifer; their, weird; few, sew.

Status
Not open for further replies.