Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The second and third are fine. The first does not sound very natural to me.

A

allthewayanime

So the first one should have been with the present perfect?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these forms correct:

I am thinking about it all day.
I am thinking of you all the time.
I've been thinking about it all day.

"Think" is a stative verb which, by rule, is not used in present continuous form. So, in your #''s 1 & 2 "think" is not used correctly. #3 is OK.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Think" is a stative verb which, by rule, is not used in present continuous form. So, in your #''s 1 & 2 "think" is not used correctly. #3 is OK.
If you are actively engaging in thought, then 'think' is not being used statively. so #2 is fine. Other correct examples:

I am thinking of leaving Prague.
Be quiet. I am thinking.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second and third are fine. The first does not sound very natural to me.

#2: Well, the combination of the present continuous form with "all the time" doesn't sound natural to me. I would rather, "I think of you all the time".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
#2: Well, the combination of the present continuous form with "all the time" doesn't sound natural to me. I would rather, "I think of you all the time".
We are in the area of personal preference here. Both forms are fine - in BrE, at least. The progressive form emphasises the duration, the on-goingness, of the process,

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
So the first one should have been with the present perfect?
You can use the verb "think" with the present perfect but it depends on what you want to say . I would use the present perfect continuous: "I've been thinking about it all day". The fact that it's today makes it a very recent action and therefore "I've thought about it all day" does not sound right

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You can use the verb "think" with the present perfect but it depends on what you want to say . I would use the present perfect continuous: "I've been thinking about it all day". The fact that it's today makes it a very recent action and therefore "I've thought about it all day" does not sound right
Once again, both forms are possible; it's a matter of personal choice. Once again, the progressive form emphasises the duration, the on-goingness, of the process; it also suggests the possibility that the thinking is continuing at the moment of speaking.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the right context -- a new, temporary, and pressing situation -- even the first one could work.

I am so stuck on this problem. I am thinking about it all day. I'm even dreaming about it at night.It's been almost two weeks, and I still can't come up with the solution!

All this "thining" is new, it's temporary, it's current, and it's urgent. In this conext, the present progressive works.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All this "thinking" is new, it's temporary, it's current, and it's urgent. In this context, the present progressive works.
Thanks for that. I was trying to come up with some examples, and couldn't think of anything convincing, apart from the slightly different "I am thinking of leaving Prague"and "Be quiet. I am thinking" that I noted earlier.Your example is natural for the sense we are discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.