Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Missing relative pronoun

    Hi teachers,

    I would like to ask,

    Where should I put ‘missing relative pronoun’ in the following sentence? And which one should be used - ‘who/which/that’?

    'The really important point is that because he did not invite the one man he certainly should have asked his father was angry.'

    This sentence is from ‘Swan’ at section 515.3.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by dawnngcm; 25-Oct-2011 at 17:35.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,267
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    [QUOTE=dawnngcm;815437]



    Where should I put ‘missing relative pronoun’ in the following sentence? And which one ‘who/which/that’?

    'The really important point is that because he did not invite the one man he certainly should have asked his father was angry.'


    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) I know that you are going to get some really interesting answers from the teachers.

    (2) As for me, I wish to speak and write "perfect" English, so I should write:

    ... because he did not invite the one man whom he should have asked, his father

    was angry.

    (3) I think that some experts would allow (or even prefer) "that."

    (4) "Who" is, of course, ridiculous.

    (5) "Which" might be acceptable in some Englishes, but hopefully not in American English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    [QUOTE=TheParser;815440]
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnngcm View Post



    (2) As for me, I wish to speak and write "perfect" English, so I should write:

    ... because he did not invite the one man whom he should have asked, his father

    was angry.
    Thanks TheParser! You are quick!

    I considered putting a comma like you did. But it seems his examples in the same part didn't do this.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    I should write: ... because he did not invite the one man whom he should have asked, his father was angry.

    (3) I think that some experts would allow (or even prefer) "that."

    (4) "Who" is, of course, ridiculous. Well, it's very commonly used, and most of us accept it these days.

    (5) "Which" might be acceptable in some Englishes, but hopefully not in American English. And not in any standard English.
    I agree that the comma after 'asked' is important. I'd also put one between 'that' and 'because.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,267
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I agree that the comma after 'asked' is important. I'd also put one between 'that' and 'because.

    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) Teacher Fivejedjon has pointed out something very important for us learners who

    want to punctuate correctly.

    (a) The ideal punctuation of Member Dawnngcm's sentence should be:

    The really important point is that, because he did not invite the one man whom/ that he certainly should have asked, his father was angry.

    Compare:

    The really important point is that his father was angry because he did not invite the one man whom /that he certainly should have asked. (Most books tell us that a comma is usually not necessary if the adverbial clause is at the end.)

    In the first sentence, we use two commas. They indicate that if we wanted to, we

    could delete (erase) the words between them (the adverbial clause of reason) and still

    have a grammatically correct sentence:

    The really important point is that his father was angry.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    Thanks teacher fivejedjon and TheParser.

    I got your point, the commas are important. The sentence meaning is expressed more clearly than without them. But,

    Is the sentence still with the same meaning and grammatically correct if the commas haven’t put?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    There is no visible punctuation in speech; it is grammatically correct as a spoken utterance.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    There is no visible punctuation in speech; it is grammatically correct as a spoken utterance.
    If I get what you are trying to tell me, the sentence without commas is accepted but not preferred in writing. Am I right?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    I do not consider it acceptable in writing.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Missing relative pronoun

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I do not consider it acceptable in writing.
    Thank you very much, teacher fivejedjon!

Similar Threads

  1. About relative pronoun.
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2010, 18:12
  2. missing pronoun?
    By Raen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2008, 04:02
  3. The missing possessive pronoun
    By mitzeljh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2007, 17:53
  4. relative pronoun.
    By mylevt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2006, 15:41
  5. relative pronoun VS relative adverb
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2004, 03:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •