Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "turnover" mean? Revenue or stock change rage or what else?

ex)A store, for example, can reach a turnover in its contacts, or potential contacts, which is so large that it becomes socially useless. An example of this can be seen a the candy and newspaper store owned by the housing cooperative of Colears Hook on New York's Lower East side.This planned project store replaces perhaps forty superficially similar stores which were wiped out on that project site and the adjoining site..The place is a mill.Its clerks are so busy making change and screaming ineffectual imprecations at rowdies that they never hear anything except "I want that" This is the usual atmosphere where shopping center planning or repressive zoning artificially contrives commercial monopolies for city neighborhood. A store like this would fail economically if it had competition. In the meantime, although monopoly insures the financial success planned for it, it fails the city socially.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Turnover" refers to the rate at which employees come and go. A place with a high turnover is constantly replacing employees who leave. In this case, the author is saying that it is difficult to get to "know" the people working at a store since the turnover is so high.

Instead of seeing "Bob" or "Sue" every morning at the local store, who knows which pack of smokes you want and if you want cream for your coffee, there is a constant stream of people who don't know you and don't care.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Turnover" refers to the rate at which employees come and go. A place with a high turnover is constantly replacing employees who leave. In this case, the author is saying that it is difficult to get to "know" the people working at a store since the turnover is so high.

Instead of seeing "Bob" or "Sue" every morning at the local store, who knows which pack of smokes you want and if you want cream for your coffee, there is a constant stream of people who don't know you and don't care.

I never though about it like you did, and was shocked see your explanation. The translation goes "give the change(the left amount to be paid back to customers)" for "making change" in " Its clerks are so busy making change and screaming..", but it seems to mean they are being changed. What do you mean by "contacts"? The theme seems to be "a monoply store would fail easily", but your explanation seems to be focused on the workes' change.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No no! You need to separate the "turnover" phrase from the "making change" sections in your mind!

Making change does indeed mean to give to the customer the difference between what the customer gave you in cash and the cost of the product. I give you a $20 bill, and my item costs $5.29 with tax, and you give me back $14.71. That has nothing to do with the "turnover"phrase earier.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No no! You need to separate the "turnover" phrase from the "making change" sections in your mind!

Making change does indeed mean to give to the customer the difference between what the customer gave you in cash and the cost of the product. I give you a $20 bill, and my item costs $5.29 with tax, and you give me back $14.71. That has nothing to do with the "turnover"phrase earier.
I don't understand the theme as a whole, how does the turnover affect the store's bankruptcy or failure? What is contacts in "reach a turnover in its contacts, or potential contacts"? The store's customers?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't fully understand the theme either. They may mean the turnover in the customers and not the employees. Meaning the customers come in and out so quickly, and the store is so busy that there is no time for "personal" interaction.

It's an interesting concept, this one that a store that is so busy is doomed to failure.

One need only look at Walmart to see a counter-example. It has no monopoly set up by
"planners.". It's usually busy and has long lines. I don't go there for social interaction, I go there for good prices.

This author seems to think that small stores with friendly faces of long-time employees will naturally outperform big, impersonal stores in the marketplace.

I don't think that's true in general. Yes, it is nice to have a small store for some things, but you pay for that convenience.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I completely agree with Dave. (Except the part about actually shopping in Walmart. I don't do that. And yes, it's based on principle.)

The person seems to argue that with customers (and possibly) employees coming and going so quickly, there is no time for "service" and social interaction, perhaps the way there was when the corner drug store was where people gathered for an ice cream soda after school. And (s)he argues that losing these small stores for mass commericalism makes society worse off as a result.

(In my opinion, the writer has more passion for the topic than good writing style. And their points are not all valid. Barnes and Nobel is a giant book store chain that has probably put small, locally owned bookstores out of business in many markets. But if you go to the children's section, the people who work there are as knowledgeable and passionate about good books for kids as anyone I've ever met. They aren't going to be my life-long friends, but they give me great service.)

Status
Not open for further replies.