Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What does it mean? In which senses and contexts can this expression be used?
Thanks for your kind replies.
Michela

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

Could you tell US what context you saw this in? By itself, it doesn't have much meaning.

"Get yourself sorted out" is a casual way to mean "take care of your troubles, espcially emotional one."

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks for the reply.

The context was two persons discussing about a little health desease.
I wonder if the expression could reveal a sort of annoyance in the speaker's intentions.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
It might also mean something like:
Get yourself sorted (organized, settled, calmed down), then come to the house for a cup of tea and we'll discuss the matter further.
In the above example, "out" is presumed (sorted out) as Barb_D explained in her post. As for expressing annoyance, that would really depend upon the context in which the words were used.

John

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the reply.

The context was two persons discussing about a little health desease.
I wonder if the expression could reveal a sort of annoyance in the speaker's intentions.

In BrE, the tone of voice would be important. If someone simply said "Get yourself sorted" it may just be a useful suggestion. In the context you gave, I would guess that the conversation went something like this:

Person A: How are you?
Person B: I'm OK. Well, actually, I'm a little worried about this mole/lump/rash.
Person A: Where is it?
Person B: Here. On my back. Look.
Person A: That looks quite bad.
Person B: I know. It hurts but I can't be bothered to go to the doctor.
Person A: I think that's a bad decision. I think you should get yourself sorted.

Person A basically means that they think Person B should go and get checked by a doctor and, hopefully, treated and cured (that is what "sorted" would mean).

In BrE, if "Sort yourself out" is said in a somewhat aggressive tone of voice, it can mean "Change your behaviour and stop annoying me" or something similar.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks!
I think that emsr2d2's example is really similar to the real situation i am referring to.
Ok, i now understand that “sort yourself out” would have a really different sound.

At the same time i consider interesting the meanings it could as well have, as indicated in John's post ( and in Brab_d's, just adding 'out').

I hope i will get myself sorted … in the use of english :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks!
I think that emsr2d2's example is really similar to the real situation I am referring to.
OK, I now understand that “sort yourself out” would have a really different sound.

At the same time I consider interesting the meanings it could as well have, as indicated in John's post ( and in Brab_d's, just adding 'out').

I hope I will get myself sorted … in the use of English :)

Please remember that the word "I" must be capitalised at all times, regardless of where it appears in a sentence.
The word "English" (and all other languages, countries, nationalities etc) also needs a capital letter.
"OK" is written with 2 capital letters. If you use the entire word, then only capitalise the first letter - "Okay".

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Okay,

I will pay attention to the rules of English writing.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.